[comp.protocols.misc] Novell/TCP-IP linkage

mro@thumper.bellcore.com (Mike R. Ordun) (06/18/91)

I am looking for help in connecting a Novell network to a TCP-IP backbone.
The Novell network is implemented using 10baseT twisted pair ethernet.
The network is running release 3.1 of Netware.  Mail on the network is
cc:Mail.  My immediate interest is connecting the Novell net to the
TCP-IP backbone and running the SMTP mail package for cc:Mail.
Tried simply connecting the networks thinking that everbody would ignore
ethernet packets that were not the appropriate type for them.  This didn't
work and the Novell server started to complain about routing errors.
Have tried to contact Novell and actually talked to a "technical" person.
They could offer no insight but offer a long list of addons that I could
buy from them to "solve" the problem.

These are the possibilities as I see it:

1. I cannot simply connect the networks and need a bridge or router.  If
this is the case can anyone offer suggestions?

2. What I saw when the networks were connected was the result of the
sudden apperance of another Novell network.  How do I tell if this is
the case and how do I have to configure the Novell server differently
when there is more than 1 server.

Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions?

Thanks -- Mike Ordun mro@thumper.bellcore.com

martin@tibbs.uucp (Martin Walker) (06/29/91)

In <450@salt.bellcore.com> mro@thumper.bellcore.com (Mike R. Ordun) writes:

>I am looking for help in connecting a Novell network to a TCP-IP backbone.
>The Novell network is implemented using 10baseT twisted pair ethernet.
>The network is running release 3.1 of Netware.  Mail on the network is
>cc:Mail.  My immediate interest is connecting the Novell net to the
>TCP-IP backbone and running the SMTP mail package for cc:Mail.
>Tried simply connecting the networks thinking that everbody would ignore
>ethernet packets that were not the appropriate type for them.  This didn't
>work and the Novell server started to complain about routing errors.
>Have tried to contact Novell and actually talked to a "technical" person.
>They could offer no insight but offer a long list of addons that I could
>buy from them to "solve" the problem.

If what you are trying to do is get your Novell workstations to talk TCP/IP,
then your problem is that a pre 3.11 server will not pass IP packets. The
easiest solution would be to upgrade to 3.11 and configure the sever to pass
the IP. The alternative is to use IPX as your transport (ie.encapsulate the
IP inside IPX - this can be done with the IPXPKT driver available from
Clarkson University), and then to configure a router to strip the IP back
out of the IPX (you could use PCRoute or KA9Q to do this). This second solution
will in fact work for any version of Novell and also obviously on any LAN
topology that Novell supports (such as Arcnet, Token ring, etc.).

--
 Martin Walker   | ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!tibbs!martin
       @         |      "Heaven doesn't want me

peterc@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter Creath) (07/01/91)

Where can I find an E-mail/FTP gateway since my internet site is a
uucp-only system?

--
PLEASE respond in E-mail, my news system doesn't allow threading...

peterc@sugar.neosoft.com           "Listen, there's a hell of a good
peterc@sugar.hackercorp.com         universe next door.  Let's go!"
(take your pick)                                      -e e cummings