	Date: Sun, 28 Jun 87 23:53:36 pdt
	From: normac!tim@russell.stanford.edu
	To: croft@russell.stanford.edu
	Subject: news update
	Actual-Sender: Tim McCreery

	Hi there.

	I put a new prompt program (now called fastpath mgr) that we
	just released in the kinetics home directory on russell. It
	contains many features I'm sure you'll recognize as suggestions
	you made.  Unfortunately, no kip support yet, but that is in
	progress. Feel free to put this into info-mac on sumex in
	hexbin format or whatever.  Be sure to check out the diagnostic
	window feature. It should eliminate the need for Peek during
	gateway configuration. The RPC method of resetting the latch in
	order to get the RESET button work without a power cycle only
	works SOME of the time. There is some code for the RAM program
	that makes it work every time.

	We found some more problems with the 'new' ie.c hence the
	slowness of Russ here giving it to you. It's really just as
	well that we didn't give it to you yet since now we would be
	changing it again. We have an Excelan lanylyzer now (on a
	compaq 286) and we are learning more nitty gritty about the
	Intel 82586. We (Russ) have been testing under more and more
	environments including the largest AppleTalk net in the world
	(at Apple) and the Mac II with one of the few 3Com cards
	running EtherTalk.  The Mac II under the MacOs sends Ethernet
	packets as fast as 100-120 usec apart and the gateway can (now)
	still handle a sustained burst of such packets modulo the
	number of buffers. By the way, EtherSC with the Mac II appears
	to be about the same speed.

	Likewise the new PROM has been getting a good check out at
	Apple and it seems that all the timing problems are (almost)
	cleared up. It also has the ability to execute the program in
	the other PROM socket.

======