[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetic reliability survey

jim@b-mrda (10/23/87)

I would like to find out from owners of Kinetics Fastpaths, of all
types, what kind of reliabilty that they have experienced.  I'm
especially interested in sites that have multipule Kinetics gateways.
The type of info I'd like is listed below.
If there are enough responses and/or requests I'll summerize to the net.

Thank you

		jim sadler
		206-237-0961
		hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
		P.O. Box 3707 ms 94-26
		Seattle, Wa. USA 98124

	Any opinions expressed are mine and mine only and not that of my
	employer.  Also added in whatever else should be said at this point.

##########################  cut here ##################################

Fastpath model			:

Thick or thin LAN		:

What gateway code do you use
name, version and date		:

Number of nodes per zone	:

Number of zones			:

Estimated number of hours,
days, weeks, etc. between
failures ( a failure is
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)				:

Serial number of gateways	:

Other comments			:

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (10/26/87)

At the moment, news is more reliable than mail around here, so excuse
the posting.

jim@b-mrda writes:
    I would like to find out from owners of Kinetics Fastpaths, of all
    types, what kind of reliabilty that they have experienced.  I'm
    especially interested in sites that have multipule Kinetics gateways.
    The type of info I'd like is listed below.
    If there are enough responses and/or requests I'll summerize to the net.

    [...]

    ##########################  cut here ##################################

    Fastpath model			:

20 KFPS/2's (rough count) currently installed

    Thick or thin LAN		:

Thick, plus fiber optic (via Hirschman transceivers)

    What gateway code do you use
    name, version and date		:

19 Combined Gateway Beta C0X9: July 9, 1987
1 KIP 9/87

    Number of nodes per zone	:

170+

    Number of zones			:

1

    Estimated number of hours,
    days, weeks, etc. between
    failures ( a failure is
    anytime the gateway needs
    to have power cycled or
    gateway code reloaded or
    reset)				:

Execept for the one on my desk (every 2-3 days), only when we have
power line problems (once every couple of months).

    Serial number of gateways	:

5xx-6xx (I'd rather not have to run around and look them all up).

    Other comments			:

We love them.

--
Clayton M. Elwell

    UUCP: ...!cbosgd!cis.ohio-state.edu!elwell
    ARPA: elwell@ohio-state.arpa (if you feel lucky...)

jim@b-mrda (10/31/87)

Here are the results so far.  If you haven't responed please do.
In short the response has been that the gateways are very reliable.
It looks like the average number of devices per appletalk net is about
14.  The number of gateways per site varies widely.

Thanks to those who responed and again if you have'nt please do.

		jim sadler
		206-656-5422
		hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
		P.O. Box 3707 MS 6R-24
		Seattle, Wa. USA 98124

	Any opinions expressed are mine and mine only and not that of my
	employer.  Also add in whatever else should be said at this point.

PS 	I'm especially interested in any sites that are using a
	"non-standard" wire eg: fiber, twisted pair,  astra-net or type
	1.

PPS  	Next time I'll try and make the questions more consise.

	js

Fastpath model      : the gateway (I am aware of only one modle of gateway)

Thick or thin LAN   : Thin now.  We had used thick previously.

What gateway code do you use
name, version and date       : Stanford KIP 9/87

Number of nodes per zone     : ~20  (some with many many more.)

Number of zones              : seven at last count.

Estimated number of hours,
days, weeks, etc. between
failures ( a failure is
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)                       : over a month.

Serial number of gateways    :

Other comments               :

> Fastpath model		: KFPS-2
>
> Thick or thin LAN		: Thick (kbox currently on a DELNI)
>
> What gateway code do you use
> name, version and date	: Croft's KIP, 0287 (Feb, 1987)
>
> Number of nodes per zone	: Currently about 8, plan on about twice that
>
> Number of zones		: one
>
> Estimated number of hours,
> days, weeks, etc. between
> failures ( a failure is
> anytime the gateway needs
> to have power cycled or
> gateway code reloaded or
> reset)			: After infant failures, never (we've
					been up a couple of months).

> Serial number of gateways	: 1297
>
> Other comments		:  Our original unit had a S/N in
				the 600's and was continually crashing.
				Kinetic's finally swapped it for the
				one we have now, and made some noises
				about power supply problems in some
				older units (they also couldn't figure
				out why we had been shipped a box with
				that low a S/N).  Since then, it's been
				rock solid.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Fastpath model                  : 1

Thick or thin LAN               : thick

What gateway code do you use
name, version and date          : Croft, <info-mac>at-gw, (27 sept is the date
				  on the file system; I don't know when the
				  executable was made; it's the one with zones)

Number of nodes per zone        : 13

Number of zones                 : (We (KSL) are 1 zone of 5 at Stanford)

Estimated number of hours,
days, weeks, etc. between
failures ( a failure is
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)                          : 1-6 months; causes have been external;
				  eg. to load new software

Serial number of gateways       : 118, 602, 430

Other comments                  : I had to replace the battery in one unit
				  that we left unplugged for several months.
				  Otherwise, they've run non-stop.  Note:
				  we run them without the top skin, 'cause
				  I didn't like the looks of the cooling.
-------

Fastpath model			: 3 KFPS-1 models with ROM upgrades

Thick or thin LAN		: Thick

What gateway code do you use
name, version and date		: KIP 2/87

Number of nodes per zone	: 20

Number of zones			: 1 so far...

Estimated number of hours,
days, weeks, etc. between
failures ( a failure is
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)				: i have seen 1 failure in 8 months

Serial number of gateways	: D....761, 750, 681

Other comments			:

it's fine, i like the public domain s/w  that you can get. we have also
evaluated all other products out there (TOPS/Unix, Alisa, Pacer,
Lutzy-Baird) and found them all to suck except for tops, which is not
great but at least it does not crash your mac.

hope this helps

tim wicinski
naval research labs

Fastpath model                  :       kfps-1

Thick or thin LAN               :       thick

What gateway code do you use            latest KIP from Sumex
name, version and date		:

Number of nodes per zone        :       10

Number of zones                 :       1

Estimated number of hours,              unknown (no failures of the kfps
days, weeks, etc. between               other than pilot error and/or
failures ( a failure is                 upgrading the software).
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)				:

Serial number of gateways       :       112

Other comments                  :       nice box

-- Jim Guyton
   decvax!randvax!guyton
   guyton@rand-unix.arpa

[...]

Fastpath model			: KFPS-2

Thick or thin LAN		: thick

What gateway code do you use
name, version and date		: KIP 0287 with cap patches. CAP 5 with
				  patches 5,6,7

Number of nodes per zone	: we have 6 boxes running and about a 100 macs
				 and 7 lws
Number of zones			: 1 (all one zone)

Estimated number of hours,
days, weeks, etc. between
failures ( a failure is
anytime the gateway needs
to have power cycled or
gateway code reloaded or
reset)				: different. Some have gone for 4 months
				  others crash each day. We have traced this
				  to the power supply if yuo attach external
				  power they stay alive.
Serial number of gateways	: (extract from /etc/hosts)
			ser #
192.16.126.71   gwklock kfps729
192.16.126.77   gwnalen kfps725
192.16.126.84   gwx84   kfps835
192.16.126.85   gwx85   kfps847
192.16.126.86   gwiplab kfps854
192.16.126.87   gwttds  kfps724
192.16.126.88   gwrosa  kfps810
192.16.126.89   gwceri1 kfps807

Other comments			: The boxes seem to more sensitive to a "bad"
				appletalk than other devices (mac & lw)

				Some boxes consistently fail to reload from
				their battery backuped ram.

				It seems like the rom in the box sometimes
				drops packets from the appletalk when there
				is heave load from the ether side. The
				conesquence is that htey drop they ATP
				RLS packet which causes a timout of 30 secs.

				Of the 8 boxes we have 2 are very bad at
				restarting (pwr fail) every day at least. Two
				or three restart every 2 weeks and some
				with months in between. One has never crashed
				by itself (I think)