[comp.protocols.appletalk] Combined Gateway with KIP Gateway

aw0g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Aaron Wohl) (12/07/87)

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 87 11:29:05 EST
From: verber@ohio-state.arpa (Mark A. Verber)

I am currently running an Appletalk network which has two Kinetics boxes
on it.  This is because I am using the KIP/CAP gateway for most things,
i.e. AUFS, Telnet, etc., while we have a few people who are running
UNIX TOPS (ugh!) and need the old style gateway.

Every night the KIP gateway seems to jump out the window.  When I come
in during the morning the KIP gateway is crashed.  I can't seem to
restart.  It is visable to prompt, but is not routing yet.  I have to
turn off the combined gateway (which has IP turned off by the way).
As soon as the combined gateway goes away the KIP gateway comes up.
When I turn the combined gateway back on and tell it start I get no
responce from the diagnosis (but start is successfully sent).  If I
reload the combined gateway it will run just fine.

It seems there is some interaction between the KIP and combined
gateway that will crash the KIP gateway as a direct result, and damage
(to the point of needing to be reloaded) the combined gateway, but
this is only evident on a restart, or a reboot, i.e. an indirect
result.

Any ideas, other than get rid of one of the gateways?

Sigh,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber