[comp.protocols.appletalk] NuvoTech EasyNet Connectors

kurt@doodah.UUCP (Kurt VanderSluis) (12/13/87)

Has anyone else tried the EasyNet connectors from NuvoTech.  After seeing
the big ads in MacWeek, I asked NuvoTech is they would send me a couple
for evaluation.  They did, and two things struck me right off.  First,
they were obious rip-offs of Farallon's PhoneNet connectors and b) they
didn't work with our wiring scheme.  We connect our Macs over Type I wire
to a central wiring closet using the Farallon Star Controller.  When I
connected the EasyNet's my network connection went away, zones, servers
everything.  I couldn't even see the LW next to me.  When I just
connected my one Mac (II) to the  LW, I could see the LW.  Has anyone else
tried these things?  Any success?  Any thought about ripoffs?
--
Kurt VanderSluis                   *********************************
Boeing Computer Services           *   These opinions are mine,    *

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (kraut) (12/17/87)

> Has anyone else tried these things?  Any success?  Any thought about ripoffs?

I'm using them in a small network and have had no problems;  the fact that
they look like the PhoneNet connectors may mean they have "stolen"
whatever little technology or knowledge is required to build one of those
things or not -  for me it is "competition" that brought the price down !!
--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu		(prefered address)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (12/17/87)

In article <224@doodah.UUCP> kurt@doodah.UUCP (Kurt VanderSluis) writes:
>Has anyone else tried the EasyNet connectors from NuvoTech.
>  Has anyone else
>tried these things?  Any success?  Any thought about ripoffs?

Funny you should ask.  We are in the process of installing EasyNet today.
We did a preliminary test, and all seemed fine.  But we're not trying to
use EasyNet with PhoneNet.  We are using it with an existing AppleTalk
network, and haven't seen any difficulties.

As for the "ripoff" of PhoneNet, I can't say.  Does it use any patented
technology of PhoneNet?  If not, I don't have any problem with it.  I simply
view it as a potentially cost-effective alternative to Apple's stuff.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (12/17/87)

In article <224@doodah.UUCP>, Kurt VanderSluis writes:
> Has anyone else tried the EasyNet connectors from NuvoTech.  [...]
> I asked NuvoTech is they would send me a couple
> for evaluation. [...] First,
> they were obious rip-offs of Farallon's PhoneNet connectors and b) they
> didn't work with our wiring scheme.  We connect our Macs over Type I wire
> to a central wiring closet using the Farallon Star Controller.  When I
> connected the EasyNet's my network connection went away, zones, servers
> everything.  I couldn't even see the LW next to me.  When I just
> connected my one Mac (II) to the  LW, I could see the LW.  Has anyone else
> tried these things?  Any success?  Any thought about ripoffs?

Well, Farallon connectors seem to want to use the yellow and black pairs to
transmit and receive, rather than the red and green.  The reason for this is
so that it will work with newer telephone systems that use the red and the
green pairs only.  I wouldn't be surprised if the EasyNet connectors were
using the red and green.

If you want to get inventive and like to play, here's something to try: swap
the green and red with the yellow and the black before it goes into the wall.
I'm using a Farallon connector and the rest of the world isn't.  When I made
up a little adaptor, my Farallon connector worked fine.  (Which is good
because it easier to find long telephone wires then it is to piece together
short AppleTalk cables.  Especially up the sides of buildings...)
--
"It's gonna take money..."               Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (12/22/87)

In article <7777@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>  I wouldn't be surprised if the EasyNet connectors were
>using the red and green.

I have the EasyNet installation manual in front of me.  It clearly states
that EasyNet uses the yellow and black wires of the telephone cable.

BTW: I just installed mine last week, using a dedicated wire instead of
telephone wire.  It works fine, and interfaces cleanly with the previously
installed AppleTalk stuff.