[comp.protocols.appletalk] the FastPath dilemma

crum@CS.UTAH.EDU (Gary L. Crum) (01/05/88)

Neither KIP nor the Kinetics "combined" (EtherTalk&UDP routing) code seems
to have all the answers when it comes to LocalTalk<->Ethernet bridging.

Are there groups out there adding EtherTalk support to the KIP code generously
provided by Bill Croft?  Or, will CAP someday work with the gateway code
of Kinetics?  Does Kinetics have plans to incorporate dynamic IP address
allocation into their combined code?

At Utah the CS Department runs UNIX with TCP/IP on ethernet almost exclusively.
We are running KIP 09/87 in a FastPath in order to take advantage of CAP and
the dynamic IP address allocation mechanism of KIP that works well with NCSA
Telnet.  However, the need for EtherTalk support in LocalTalk<->Ethernet
(KFPS) bridges is clear.  The Center for Engineering Design department here
uses the Kinetics combined gateway code along with the AlisaTalk product for
their VAX/VMS systems.  Utah has a class B Internet and wants to use 8 bits
as a subnet number, but if each new LocalTalk network is assigned a full
subnet (as we understand the Kinetics code requires), we will be wasting
many IP addresses.  If you have thought about and solved problems like these,
please share your experiences.

Gary

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (01/06/88)

crum@CS.UTAH.EDU (Gary L. Crum) writes:
    their VAX/VMS systems.  Utah has a class B Internet and wants to use 8 bits
    as a subnet number, but if each new LocalTalk network is assigned a full
    subnet (as we understand the Kinetics code requires), we will be wasting
    many IP addresses.  If you have thought about and solved problems
    like these, please share your experiences.

    Gary

Well, the Kinetics gateway code can handle smaller subnets perfectly
well.  I've personally set up gateways with two-bit wide subnets, and
so on.  If you send me a concrete example of what you want, I'll try
to show you waht to do.  I will admit that figuring out the options is
a little arcane if you're not used to it, though.

The only major problem I have with the combined gateway is that it
evidently does not respond to ARPs for hosts on its subnet (sort of
like promiscuous ARP), as does the KIP gateway.  Since all of our
routers depend on promiscuous ARP or RIP, this makes it tough to
telnet around to things on our local (highly subnetted) network.
Sigh.

--
Clayton M. Elwell

    UUCP: ...!cbosgd!cis.ohio-state.edu!elwell
    ARPA: elwell@ohio-state.arpa (if you feel lucky...)

gp@lll-lcc.aRpA (George Pavel) (01/06/88)

in article <8801042306.AA24931@cs.utah.edu>, crum@CS.UTAH.EDU (Gary L. Crum) says:

> Neither KIP nor the Kinetics "combined" (EtherTalk&UDP routing) code seems
> to have all the answers when it comes to LocalTalk<->Ethernet bridging.
> their VAX/VMS systems.  Utah has a class B Internet and wants to use 8 bits
> as a subnet number, but if each new LocalTalk network is assigned a full
> subnet (as we understand the Kinetics code requires), we will be wasting
> many IP addresses.  If you have thought about and solved problems like these,
> please share your experiences.

We use the Kinetics combined gateway code.  It allows you to specify the
length and starting position in bits of the subnet address.  We have a class B
address and tend to assign 8 bit "subnets"  (we don't actually use subnets, but
we assign numbers as if we did).  We subdivided one of these "subnets" to be
half normal and half Kinetics by assigning a subnet mask of 9 bits starting at
bit 7 (the most significant bit of the least significant byte).  In particular,
addresses 128.115.21.1 through 128.115.21.127 are on the Ethernet side of the
Kinetics box, and 128.115.21.128 through 128.115.21.255 are on the Localtalk
side.  By setting the length and starting bit of the subnet mask appropriately
you could assign even smaller chunks to the Localtalk side.

George Pavel
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808  L-68				(was gp@lll-lcc.arpa)
Livermore, CA 94550			Internet: gp@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
(415)422-4262				UUCP: ihnp4!lll-lcc!gp

gp@lll-lcc.aRpA (George Pavel) (01/07/88)

> The only major problem I have with the combined gateway is that it
> evidently does not respond to ARPs for hosts on its subnet (sort of
> like promiscuous ARP), as does the KIP gateway.  Since all of our
> --
> Clayton M. Elwell

The combined gateway code we use (Ethertalk 1.2 I believe) does respond
to ARPs on the Ethernet side for hosts on the Localtalk side.  I seem to
recall that this was true for some older versions of the code as well.