[comp.protocols.appletalk] 2Macs and a printer

johnmark@COYOTE.STANFORD.EDU (John Mark Agosta) (01/14/88)

Ken - put the Imagewriter (its a II I hope) on AT with an AT card, then
use TOPS with both machines - actually, I haven't seen the new TOPS, it
might just be necessary on the machine with a hard disk. The other
functions as an AppleShare client? -johnmark

berner@apple.UUCP (William Berner) (01/20/88)

In article <8801140722.AA13525@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> johnmark@COYOTE.STANFORD.EDU (John Mark Agosta) writes:
>Ken - put the Imagewriter (its a II I hope) on AT with an AT card, then
>use TOPS with both machines - actually, I haven't seen the new TOPS, it
>might just be necessary on the machine with a hard disk. The other
>functions as an AppleShare client? -johnmark

There are two problems that you might find.  First, if TOPS 2.0 isn't
fully AFP compatible (and I don't think it is), the TOPS server won't
work with AppleShare client software.  Second, AppleShare is currently
licensed so that you'd have to buy a copy of AppleShare to use the
workstation software with the TOPS server.

You probably will have to buy two copies of TOPS.

Bill Berner
Apple Workgroup Marketing