[comp.protocols.appletalk] Why do I need a Kinetics Box

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (02/10/88)

Ok you LocalTalk/Ethertalk/Ethernet gurus: A Question...

Now that there are Ethernet cards for the SE and the II why is a Kinetics Box
(or like boxes) necessary? Will there be a version of AUFS/CAP stuff that does
not require a box between my Mac II w/EtherTalk and my Hp Unix box on the
ethernet? If not, WHY NOT?

And just where might NFS fit into this scheme? I know TOPS is working on
incorporating this into TOPS to some degree. However, the cost has to be
reasonable, as I am the only Mac II user in my lab, and we are not about to
spend big bucks for just one user.

I can already have multiple sessions with my Unix box courtesy of NCSA TELNET,
but it would be great to be able to mount the file system and store some of
my files on Un*x. Yes, I know I will be able to do that sort of thing if I
buy AUX and another disk drive--but I want to do it without AUX and under the
MAC OS.

Take it away gurus......

David L. Williams
dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
...!hplabs!hpda!dlw

Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
Phone:(408) 447-5425 Mailstop: 47LR
"What if Apple put a SPARC on a Nubus card?"

krauskpf@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/12/88)

The Kinetics FastPath is still necessary for price/performance for
groups of Macs > 3.  AppleTalk cabling is cheaper too.

Protocol-wise, you are just waiting for UNIX to support EtherTalk access
in the kernel with good library interfaces like CAP's.  Remember, the
EtherTalk hardware writes AppleTalk packets right onto Ethernet rather
than encapsulating in UDP.  When is HP-UX going to support EtherTalk in
the kernel?  The port of CAP should take less than one day and the
AppleShare client already runs on EtherTalk Macs.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA
timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (02/13/88)

In article <11840006@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Ok you LocalTalk/Ethertalk/Ethernet gurus: A Question...

>And just where might NFS fit into this scheme? I know TOPS is working on
>incorporating this into TOPS to some degree. However, the cost has to be
>reasonable, as I am the only Mac II user in my lab, and we are not about to
>spend big bucks for just one user.
>
>I can already have multiple sessions with my Unix box courtesy of NCSA TELNET,
>but it would be great to be able to mount the file system and store some of
>my files on Un*x. Yes, I know I will be able to do that sort of thing if I
>buy AUX and another disk drive--but I want to do it without AUX and under the
>MAC OS.

I am reading a copy of "TOPS for Sun Workstations, System Administration Guide".
Chapter one, page one, paragraph one, sentence two:
    "The TOPS network allows transparent file sharing between servers
     running the UNIX operating system and an AppleTalk network of Apple
     Macintosh or IBM PC computers."

I am surprised at the comparatively low price and flexible licensing terms
for TOPS servers running on Suns.  You can always call TOPS for info, just as
I did.  They are very helpful.  415-549-5900

Likewise, you can obtain TOPS for VAX/UNIX from Mt Xinu.  Again, you can call
them for details.  415-644-0146
--
	    Jeff Stearns
    Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

TVR%CCRMA-F4@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU (Tovar) (02/16/88)

    I am surprised at the comparatively low price and flexible licensing terms
    for TOPS servers running on Suns.  You can always call TOPS for info, just as
    I did.  They are very helpful.  415-549-5900

I'm not surprised, they're owned by Sun Microsystems.  Think about it when
examining their pricing...