[comp.protocols.appletalk] problems with KIP/CAP

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (02/29/88)

We've installed the KIP/CAP code on a Sun 3/50 with a Kinetics Fastpath
box.  The installation wasn't too terrible, but we've been experiencing
a number of annoying problems.

1)  We've set up the printing software so that we can use an appletalk-
connected laserwriter with a Sun.  We have the Adobe Transcript package.
The laserwriter is also being used by Mac users without any spooling.
Occasionally, the laserwriter appears "busy" to the Sun even though
it is free.  It never does get free and the Sun's print jobs begin to
pile up.  I usually have to kill the papif process running to clear up
the jam.

2)  This is the most serious problem.  Let's say a person is using
the appleshare software to use his disk space on the Sun as a Mac virtual
disk.  The user is also using Microsoft Word 3.01 .  Now, after some
changes to a document, he repaginates, then saves to the appleshare
volume.  MS Word begins to count the percent saved.  When it gets to
around 32 or 33 percent, everything grinds to a halt.  On a few rare
occasions, the count will resume after 10-20 seconds.  Sometimes it
bombs with a variety of system errors.  Other times it just never
moves; even after several minutes.
We get similar behavior when saving to a local floppy disk or a MacServe
volume in that MS Word pauses at 32 percent, but it always finishes the
save eventually.

I should point out that this happens only with large documents; on the order
of 60K or larger.  It also only happens after a repaginate/save combo; never
after only saving.

Has anyone seen/solved these two problems?  Thanks in advance for
all help.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

dupuy@amsterdam.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (03/04/88)

In article <400@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>We've installed the KIP/CAP code on a Sun 3/50 with a Kinetics Fastpath
>box.  The installation wasn't too terrible, but we've been experiencing
>a number of annoying problems.

[two problems involving hung connections of one sort or another]

If your Sun is running 3.4, chances are you've been bit by the bugs in the
SunOS 3.4 TCP code.  They can cause connections to wedge.  You probably want to
upgrade to 3.5 or 3.3 (no (-:).

@alex

inet: dupuy@columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!dupuy