[comp.protocols.appletalk] Apple Ethernet Card Problem.

larry@wiley.UUCP (Larry Gouger) (03/04/88)

I have been having real problems with the Apple Ethernet Card.

I use it in the following setup:
	Macintosh II (obviously), 2M, 40M hard disk
	System: 4.2, Finder: 6.0
	EtherNet Driver: EtherTalk v1.0
	Network Version 1.0

The Problem and its been a big one for me has been using the EtherNet
Card to do TCP/IP using NCSA Telnet 2.1e.  The symptoms of the problem
are the following: I am usually able to startup Telnet and make a
connection with a machine.  After a while the program goes into
Super Slow Motion (Trademark ABC ?); and all communication with the
connected hosts is hung.  I can exit the program using
command keys but it takes a while for there to be any responce.
The problem seems to be related to the network activity; the busier
the network, the bigger the problem.

I wrote a message to Gaige B. Paulsen about the problem to following is
his responce:

>To: <larry@wiley.uucp>
>Subject: Re: telnet2.1e bugreport
>From: Gaige B. Paulsen <gaige@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>
>I have had a LOT of trouble with my Apple EtherTalk card as well.  I would
>suggest one simple test to check the hardware.  First, set your network
>to Local, then reboot your Mac II.  Run some other (non-Telnet) software and
>see how the machine works.  It has been my experience (and it has been reported
>by some others), that the EtherTalk card has a problem on busy networks which
>will cause it to slow down and/or crash the machine.  If this is NOT the case
>with yours, please send me a response, as I am always willing to find and
>remove bugs from the code.
>
>Incidently, the EtherTalk version works just fine with the Kinetics cards and
>the SCSI box.
>
>Thanks very much!
>Gaige

I have had no trouble running AppleTalk applications that use the Local
network.  I routinely run Tops while I have the network configured in
Local mode.  While the network is in EtherTalk mode all I run is NCSA
Telnet.

If anyone has had similar experiences please let me know.  If any one
knows how to correct the behavior I am experiencing definitely let me
know.

-larry.			Larry Gouger  TRW Inc., CoyoteWorks
			R2/2156, Redondo Beach, CA
			(213) 812-2751
			...!{uunet,cit-vax,trwrb}!wiley!larry

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (03/08/88)

I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

Mike
--
Mike Rutenberg
	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook

verber@fruit.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (03/08/88)

Once upon a time the Apple EtherTalk board did had a problem of
freezing.  The problem only appeared on a very busy ethernet.  As far
as I know, the problem has been fixed , but a few of the A/UX beta
sites might have gotten the early (buggy) board.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (03/08/88)

In article <8415@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
>sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
>Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

C'mon, if you don't have any concrete information, don't post such notes.
Go get a job with PC Week or some such rag.

>Mike Rutenberg
>	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook
>	(503) 771-5516

Do you also tell your customers - "There may be roaches in your food.  This
is from the brother-in-law of a guy who came in to use the men's room once."

Get serious or use net.bizarre.

Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (03/08/88)

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
    I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
    sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
    Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

    Mike
    --
    Mike Rutenberg
    	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook
    	(503) 771-5516

That might have been us.  We got one of the first seed EtherTalk
boards, which is still in our seed Mac II, and it does wedge on a busy
Ethernet (like ours :-)), which we reported last year when we found
the problem.  HOWEVER, this board is several revs behind the
production one.  I have used production ones, and have never seen the
problem on any other machine.

I think they work great.

--
Clayton M. Elwell / elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

krauskpf@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/14/88)

Another substantiation:

We got an EtherTalk board from the first shipment and it couldn't handle
our busy net.  Worked fine for 30 seconds to 30 minutes and then locked
everything but the mouse.  We are using several boards from a later
shipment with no problems.

Tim Krauskopf
timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu