[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appleshare query about sharing executables

cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (02/24/88)

Let's say John Doe writes an application for the
Mac that's really big. It would be nice to have
this stored in one place for execution, so that
each Mac in the building doesn't need to
waste disk space by storing the application.

Does Appleshare permit sharing of executables from
the fileserver?

	Stuart

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (02/26/88)

cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
> Does Appleshare permit sharing of executables from
> the fileserver?

If the application is properly written.  It has to work when it is
opened read only, and any spool files have to be somewhere that the
user has write access and will not conflict with other users.  Apple
recommends the system foler, since that is guaranteed to be on a local
disk.  If this is the case, there is a finder flag that, once
switched, will allow multi-launching.

Cavet: I don't have appleshare and am just parroting what I have read/heard.
--
          William C. DenBesten |       denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

eaiu268@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (David O'Rourke) (03/02/88)

Yes it does, but the Macintosh doesn't have any facility for making files
executable only.  If it's on an Appleshare volume, and you have access to the
folder that it resides in then you can execute it directly off the server.

But if you can see it to execute it, then you can copy it also.  Just as a rule
of thumb, anything you can do on a local hard drive can be done over appleshare
with no changes to the source code of the application.  The only thing
appleshare changes is that it provides folder {read sub-directory} level
protection of files.  You can also protect a file from being deleted by not
allowing users to make changes to a folder.

David M. O'Rourke

{for return address see above, I don't know it myself}

newsuser@LU.Se (Lund Institute of Technology news server) (03/07/88)

In article <8803020501.AA09839@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> eaiu268@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (David O'Rourke) writes:
>Yes it does, but the Macintosh doesn't have any facility for making files
>executable only.  If it's on an Appleshare volume, and you have access to the
>folder that it resides in then you can execute it directly off the server.
>
>But if you can see it to execute it, then you can copy it also.  Just as a rule
>of thumb, anything you can do on a local hard drive can be done over appleshare
>with no changes to the source code of the application.  The only thing
>appleshare changes is that it provides folder {read sub-directory} level
>protection of files.  You can also protect a file from being deleted by not
>allowing users to make changes to a folder.

This is true for version 1.1 of AppleShare. Version 2.0 (to be available
this Summer) adds a number of features. Among them is (quote from AppleLink):

    --  Copy-protection settings for applications: lets the network
        administrator set applications programs run from the server so that
        they cannot be copied by network users.

--
Roland Mansson, Dept of Comp Sc, Lund University, Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden
Phone +46-46109640 (work), +46-46111539 (home)

Ravinder.Chandhok@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU (03/15/88)

Note that AppleShar 2.0 depends on a new finder chacking for that
protection.  It does not prevert Joe Users' arbitrary copy program from
accessing and copying ANY file that may be flagged "execute only".

To really make things execute only would involve non-compatible changes to
the resource manager.  Maybe this will happen when real multi tasking
happens.

Rob Chandhok
CMU

usenet@bcm.tmc.edu (Usenet Maintenance) (03/15/88)

From: klong@pauling.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long)

In <1988Mar6.175513.8478@LU.Se>, Mark Larsson (newuser@LU.Se) writes:
>...Version 2.0 [of Appleshare] (to be available
>this Summer) adds a number of features. Among them is (quote from AppleLink):
>
>    --  Copy-protection settings for applications: lets the network
>        administrator set applications programs run from the server so that
>        they cannot be copied by network users.

Does anyone know if such a feature (a.k.a. being able to execute but not click-
drag-copy applications on a server) is either possible with or coming soon
with TOPS?

	Kevin Brook Long
	Baylor College of Medicine
	1 Baylor Plaza
	Houston, TX  77030
	(713) 799-6116
	Internet: klong@bcm.tmc.edu or klong@rice.edu
	AppleLink: U0651

eaiu268@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (David O'Rourke) (03/22/88)

> This is true for version 1.1 of AppleShare. Version 2.0 (to be available
> this Summer) adds a number of features. Among them is (quote from AppleLink):
>
>     --  Copy-protection settings for applications: lets the network
>         administrator set applications programs run from the server so that
>         they cannot be copied by network users.

One complaint.  The way this message was posted it appeared that I made the
quote on Applelink.  I did not!!!

Now on to explainations.  Yes there is a flag that allows you not to copy files
from Finder, but this flag is typically ignored by nearly all other copy
programs.  I would like to see Apple implement execute only with out having to
re-implement the current operating system and making all the existing software
incompatable when run over a network.

The flag in question is called the Protect bit and can be set using most file
editiors availible on the market.  But like I said this doesn't prevent someone
from copying a file useing something other than the Finder.

David M. O'Rourke

eaiu268@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (David O'Rourke) (03/22/88)

>>    --  Copy-protection settings for applications: lets the network
>>        administrator set applications programs run from the server so that
>>        they cannot be copied by network users.
>
> Does anyone know if such a feature (a.k.a. being able to execute but not click
   -
> drag-copy applications on a server) is either possible with or coming soon
> with TOPS?
>
>     Kevin Brook Long
>     Baylor College of Medicine
>     1 Baylor Plaza
>     Houston, TX  77030
>     (713) 799-6116
>     Internet: klong@bcm.tmc.edu or klong@rice.edu
>     AppleLink: U0651

Yes this feature in availible in TOPS, but not because TOPS supports it.  There
is a flag the Finder checks called the Protect bit before allowing a user to
drag, duplicate, or otherwise move a file.  This flag has been in the Mac's OS
since the 128K days, but **ONLY THE FINDER** pays any attention to it.  Since
TOPS volumes are mounted in the Finder, any files that have this flay set will
not be copied by the Finder.  But that doesn't prevent the User from copying
the file using a finder substitute, or writing some code them selves to copy
the files.  File copy code it rather simple and doesn't require extensive
Macintosh experience.

There is currently no compatible method for doing UNIX style execute only
flags.  Yes if all you use is the finder this is a crude substitute.  But
nearly anyone with any sort of copy program can bypass this flag, or even
re-set it themselves, so that the finder can copy the file.  Or the person
doing the tampering could just copy it directly from the file editor that they
use to change the flag.

David M. O'Rourke

clay@claris.UUCP (Clay Maeckel) (03/24/88)

In article <Added.0WFfXFy00Ui3IDXk45@andrew.cmu.edu> eaiu268@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (David O'Rourke) writes:
>programs.  I would like to see Apple implement execute only with out having to
>re-implement the current operating system and making all the existing software
>incompatable when run over a network.
>
>David M. O'Rourke

I think this is the main reason why we won't see a real "execute only" mode.
The Mac doesn't have a temporary place to put an executing copy of the program
without granting read privileges to it, and once it is anywhere where something
can read it, you can copy it.

I can't think of any method using the current state of the OS to make this
work without hackers breaking the method within a week. Does anyone have any
good ideas on how "execute only" mode would work?

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Arpanet: claris!clay@ames.arc.nasa.gov