[comp.protocols.appletalk] TOPS and ethertalk

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (04/11/88)

I have a MACII with ethertalk and the NCA telenet software and I am interested
in file sharing (ala NFS).  I have been told that TOPS allows the suns to be
a file server and the MAC disk to be accessable to the sun net.  Is this
an accurate description?  Can I run NCA telenet while TOPS is running?

The goal is to NOT buy more apple disks but use the sun's disks thereby
relieving me of backing up to floppies.

Thanks for any information.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
|                              Watch This space                              |
| That government is best which governs least, because its people            |
| discipline themselves.                                                     |
|                              - Thomas Jefferson                            |
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
| Mark Interrante                                            CIS Department  |
|                                                     University of Florida  |
| Internet:  mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu                   Gainesville, FL  32611  |
|                                                            (904) 335-8047  |
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (04/13/88)

In article <14521@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu
(Mark Interrante) writes:

>I have a Mac II with ethertalk and the NCSA Telnet software and
>I am interested in file sharing (ala NFS).  I have been told
>that TOPS allows the Suns to be a file server and the Mac disk
>to be accessable to the Sun net.  Is this an accurate description?
>Can I run NCSA Telnet while TOPS is running?
>
>Thanks for any information.

Yes, Mark, TOPS will indeed allow you to use the Sun as a remote
file server for the Macintosh.  You can mount a folder via TOPS
and still use the network for other applications such as Telnet
or printing to your LaserWriter.  It works very nicely.

--Barry Kort

bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) (04/13/88)

In article <14521@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
> I have a MACII with ethertalk and the NCA telenet software and I am interested
> in file sharing (ala NFS).  I have been told that TOPS allows the suns to be
> a file server and the MAC disk to be accessable to the sun net.  Is this
> an accurate description?  Can I run NCA telenet while TOPS is running?
>
> The goal is to NOT buy more apple disks but use the sun's disks thereby
> relieving me of backing up to floppies.

I have a similar problem. I am running Mac II A/UX, and would like to use
it as a file server for the 20+ Mac-SEs that we have. Does anyone know of any
current, off-the-shelf software that I can use to make it a NFS/TOPS/appleshare
server? I know about the IPT stuff (ushare) - but its not ready yet.

We are already running telnet/fastpath.

	Bruce Beare
	Voysys Corporation
	..!pyramid!ctnews!voysys!bruce