[comp.protocols.appletalk] Bitnet link to Applelink

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (05/06/88)

  Does anybody know what's happening with that gateway between Bitnet and
Applelink? I was talking to Kinetics the other day; they have network access
to Applelink only. There's stuff going by here that they should be see.

/kenw

CARRICK@IRLEARN.BITNET ("Kieran Carrick,UCD,Ireland") (05/06/88)

I am very interested in this also
Is the applelink - Bitnet g/w going to be a mail gw like DECWRL or will
it be more?
Everyone working in Apple should hace access to
INFO-MAC
DEPHI digests
USENET mac lists
MACSERVE@PUCC and IRLEARN
MAC-USER@IRLEARN
INFO-APPLE
INFO-APPLETALK
etc ....
If anyone knows the details I would appreciate them.
Thanks in advance
Kieran Carrick EARN Country Coordinator Ireland
Systems Group
University College Dublin
Ireland
Acknowledge-To: <CARRICK@IRLEARN>

magorian@umd5.umd.edu (Dan Magorian) (05/07/88)

In article <1428*kenw@noah.arc.cdn> kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:

>  Does anybody know what's happening with that gateway between Bitnet and
>Applelink? I was talking to Kinetics the other day; they have network access
>to Applelink only. There's stuff going by here that they should be see.
>
>/kenw

They just extended it through August, and anyone on bitnet can sen or receive
from anyone on Applelink.  The format is:

From Bitnet-Applelink:

In the To: field, XB.DAS@STANFORD.BITNET
In the Subject: field, USER1@APPLELINK!Optional Actual Subject

From Applelink-Bitnet:

In the To: field, DASNET
In the Subject: field, USER1.ADDRESS@STANFORD.BITNET!Optional Actual Subject

I just tried it and it works.  Now to get Apple people to use it...