[comp.protocols.appletalk] TOPs and KIP?

smiller@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steven M. Miller) (05/16/88)

I'm currently running TOPs with a Sun as a fileserver with the Kinetics
gateway code.  I recently tried to use KIP but TOPs did not function.
Look worked form the Sun side and I could telnet from the Mac's to the Sun
with the KIP code in place.

Is there anyone who has this configuration working?

Is there some key parameter that needs changing in /etc/atalkatab?

Or something in prompt.config?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

By the way the KIP code is the 1/88 version.

-Steve
smiller@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
--

			-Steve Miller, U of MN

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (05/18/88)

In article <5407@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>, smiller@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steven M. Miller) writes:
> I'm currently running TOPs with a Sun as a fileserver with the Kinetics
> gateway code.  I recently tried to use KIP but TOPs did not function.
> Look worked form the Sun side and I could telnet from the Mac's to the Sun
> with the KIP code in place.

As I understand it, CAP requires the KIP code and Tops requires the
Kinetics gateway code.  The two will not co-exist on the same
K-box.  Also, Kinetics' K-spool software will not work
with the KIP code.

NCSA Telnet works with either code.

	Evan Bauman
	University of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan
	evan@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu	<-------(any day now!)

verber@APATOSAUR.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Mark Verber) (05/18/88)

Date: 17 May 88 18:49:19 GMT
From: ndcheg!evan@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  (Evan Bauman)
Subject: Re: TOPs and KIP?
Sender: info-appletalk-request@andrew.cmu.edu
To: info-appletalk@andrew.cmu.edu

If you run the latest KIP (version 1/88) and the latest Kinetics
K-Talk libraries you can have TOPS and CAP co-exist.  The Kinetics
libraries talk EtherTalk now (rather than the older Ethernet DDP).
The latest KIP gateway will do either DDP in IP or EtherTalk.  Hense
everyone is happy (well almost, we are having preformance problems
that we are trying to track down).

Mark A. Verber				MaBell:          614-292-7344
Computer Science Department		MX: verber@cis.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State University			DUMB:  verber@ohio-state.arpa
2036 Neil Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43210	UUCP:   ..!att!osu-cis!verber

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (05/19/88)

In article <562@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
> Also, Kinetics' K-spool software will not work
>with the KIP code.

I'm still a little confused about what is needed to print from a Mac II
with a Kinetics EtherPort II card to a LaserWriter that is connected to
a UNIX box via its serial port.

I understand that K-spool will do what I want, but from what I have heard,
it involves modifying the kernel.  Is this true?  Is there a better (and
cheaper) solution to sharing LaserWriters between UNIX machines and
Macs on the ethernet?

Thanks in advance,
----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

cck@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Charlie C. Kim) (05/20/88)

>If you run the latest KIP (version 1/88) and the latest Kinetics
>K-Talk libraries you can have TOPS and CAP co-exist.  The Kinetics

Unless TOPS runs with a non-KIP "AppleTalk Bridge" acting as the
"portal" to the unix system (like AlisaTalk or PacerShare).  KIP 1/88
does not deal well with this situation (mainly due to the lack of
proper zone acquistion: adding this is non-trivial).  I don't think
that K-Talk uses the "portal" approach though.

>everyone is happy (well almost, we are having preformance problems
>that we are trying to track down).
If the problem in particular is with EtherTalk client/services seeming
to be slow, this is not suprising.  KIP 1/88 provides a basic level of
functionality in regards to EtherTalk, not necessarily performance.

Basically, the problem is that ethernet driver in the kbox cannot
always keep up with back-to-back packets.

With KIP 1/88, there are a number of paths through a KBOX running KIP:
*	LocalTalk -KIP-> LocalTalk
*	LocalTalk -KIP-> CAP/KIP
	LocalTalk -KIP-> EtherTalk
#	CAP/KIP -KIP-> EtherTalk
*#	CAP/KIP -KIP-> CAP/KIP
*#	CAP/KIP -KIP-> LocalTalk
#	EtherTalk -KIP-> LocalTalk
#	EtherTalk -KIP-> CAP/KIP
#	EtherTalk ->KIP-> EtherTalk (bridging two ethernets)
*'ed items existed in previous release of KIP as well.

The "#" marked items are all potential problems in that the "source"
can possibly send closely spaced back-to-back packets on the Ethernet
interface.

CAP/KIP -KIP-> LocalTalk was worked around by having the CAP host
reduce the number of back to back packets sent (generally to 1 packet
- e.g. so there were no back to back packets).  (attempting to modify
the spacing of packets on a unix system generally doesn't work very
well unless you work in very large time intervals O(1) second).  This
reduces throughput, but not as much as it would if we waited for
retries, etc that are generally specified in O(seconds).

CAP/KIP -KIP-> CAP/KIP and CAP/KIP -KIP-> EtherTalk can be "worked
around" much like CAP/KIP -KIP-> LocalTalk.

Now we are down to the last three major possible paths:
	EtherTalk -KIP-> LocalTalk
	EtherTalk -KIP-> CAP/KIP
	EtherTalk ->KIP-> EtherTalk (bridging two ethernets)
that are the most problematic.

The EtherTalk host may send quite a number of closely spaced
back-to-back packets to the kbox, of which, it is highly probable that
a number will be lost.  Reducing the probability of a back-to-back
packets by reducing the maximum packet return (generally the number of
packets sent in an atp response) as is done by CAP hosts would greatly
alleviate the situation, but one cannot expect ethertalk based
services/clients to do this.  With multiple EtherTalk hosts using
these routes, the situation will become even less pleasant.
Basically, if you have an EtherTalk client and a CAP or LocalTalk
server, you'll find that writes may be slower than if it were are
LocalTalk client and that reads will probably be acceptable (if it
were an EtherTalk server, then the same would hold for writes).  The
problem is exasberated by the relatively long atp retry intervals
(important for AppleShare) -- though making the retry too short would
probably cause a meltdown :-).

It is possible to modify the ethernet driver to handle tightly spaced
packets far better; however, it is not possible to do this without
killing off the localtalk service.  Currently, the driver has the
ethernet controller suspsending upon packet reception; setting it to
"resume" automatically instead of under the control of the cpu allows
one to keep up with packets better.  However, when this is done, there
is enough contention (for some resource: cpu, bus, memory, ?) that the
timing on outgoing localtalk sends is messed up (basically, it causes
the kbox to take too long in the middle of a packet and makes it look
like multiple packets).  [Actually, the contention is probably
bus/memory - the 82586 ethernet controller is effectively a small cpu
that accesses the bus/memory independently of the main cpu (68008) and
is probably fast enough to block out the 68008 long enough to mess up
the lap timing].

Charlie C. Kim
User Services
Columbia University

elwell@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (05/23/88)

cck@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Charlie C. Kim) writes:

    [good analysis of the EtherTalk choking problem in KIP 1/88]

    It is possible to modify the ethernet driver to handle tightly spaced
    packets far better; however, it is not possible to do this without
    killing off the localtalk service.

I'd change that to "it is not EASY to do this ...".  The Kinetics
EtherTalk gateway code does not seem to have this problem.  The
handling of the Ethernet controller in the KIP gateway is pretty
elementary, from my reading of the source.  Also, this isn't all
that's happening.  We are seeing a repeatable 50% packet loss through
*either* IP or EtherTalk, if the EtherTalk option is turned on.  If it
is not turned on, performance goes back up to normal...

    [Actually, the contention is probably
    bus/memory - the 82586 ethernet controller is effectively a small cpu
    that accesses the bus/memory independently of the main cpu (68008) and
    is probably fast enough to block out the 68008 long enough to mess up
    the lap timing].

I haven't looked at the code that talks to the SCC, but it might be
possible to get it to do more of the work.  In any case, I'd suggest
talking to Kinetics to see if they are willing to "share their
secrets," as it were :-).  If the new KIP actually allowed usable
performance on EtherTalk, life would be pretty cool.

-=-
Clayton M. Elwell <elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
-=-
"Gee, the Captain's vanished utterly so we'd better beam down the second-in-
command to exactly the same coordinates to see what happened to him!"