[comp.protocols.appletalk] using ncsa telnet under multifinder

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (06/10/88)

> Does ncsa telnet work under multifinder?  We have seen some very
> flakey behavior with ncsa telnet on just one mac (out of > 40).
> Our only conclusion at this time is that this particular mac is
> running Multifinder and none of the other macs run it.
>
> Has anyone else seen problems with the ncsa telnet/mulitfinder combo?

Several of us here have been using Release 2.1e of NCSA Telnet under
MultiFinder for some time now.  The only problem is that we have
to select the EtherTalk driver under the Network entry of the Control
Panel after we boot before it will work. (We're talking over EtherNet.)

> If so, does the MPW version of ncsa telnet correct this problem?

I didn't know that an MPW version of Telnet existed.  If it is available,
what version is it, and can it be posted to the net or made available
some other way?

Ross Wille - Hewlett Packard
{almost_anywhere}!hplabs!wille

"All undectable errors will be treated as if no error occured." - IBM

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (06/10/88)

In article <199@chemres.ccs.cornell.edu> lynch@chemres.ccs.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:
>Has anyone else seen problems with the ncsa telnet/mulitfinder combo?

Yes.  We're running NCSA Telnet 2.1.  On startup, what should be the
"About" box comes up blank under multifinder.  This doesn't give me
warm feelings.  With or without multifinder, there are occasional
problems with copy and paste.  The pasted material is sometimes
garbage unrelated to what was copied.

More seriously, ftp doesn't seem very robust.  Even without
multifinder, we've had problems with corrupt transfers.  Most
insidious was the gratuitous insertion of 11 bytes of junk into a 10
megabyte ASCII file.  To be fair, this might be a problem with our
Kinetics gateway.  Retransmitting during a low traffic period gave us
a clean copy.

>If so, does the MPW version of ncsa telnet correct this problem?

Another poster mentioned a version 2.2b.  Is this a new general
release?  From where can I ftp it?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"