[comp.protocols.appletalk] Do FastPaths isolate broadcasts?

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (05/26/88)

I have an existing Ethernet with about 100 hosts.   I'm considering the
addition of ten or so FastPaths to our Macs and PC's can run TOPS or
AppleShare and be served by our UNIX hosts.  It would look something like
this simplified diagram:

      UNIX     UNIX      UNIX       UNIX           ( ~~ Vitalink bridge ~~~ )
      hosts    hosts     hosts      hosts          |    to distant nets
       ||       ||        ||         ||            |
    ===========================================================[  other   ]====
		  ||              ||              ||           [Ethernets ]====
	      [Fastpath]      [Fastpath]      [Fastpath]
		  |               |               |
		  |               |               |
		  |               |               |
		  +Mac            +Mac            +Mac
		  |               |               |
		  +Mac            +Mac            +Mac
		  |               |               |
		  +Mac            +Mac            +Mac
		  |               |               |
		  +Mac            +Mac            +Mac

Question 1:  AppleTalk protocols emit LOTS of broadcast packets at boot
             time.  Will those broadcasts pass through the FastPath and
	     pollute our extended Ethernet?

Question 2:  If so, can the concept of Zones be applied to control this
	     in any way? How about configuring each FastPath with a different
	     network number (or is this a foregone conclusion...)?

Question 3:  If the FastPaths were replaced by Cayman GatorBoxes, would the
             broadcast situation be changed in any way?

		Thanks for any experience and advice!
--
		 Jeff Stearns
	 Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

sbm@PURDUE.EDU (05/27/88)

     As I understand it, FastPaths running KIP only propagate IP
broadcasts to the Ethernet.  Back when there weren't any AppleTalk hosts
on the Ethernet, it didn't make sense to put AppleTalk traffic on the
Ethernet.  NBPLookup requests on the AppleTalk network, for instance,
were answered by the FastPath, which used ARP on the Ethernet side to
find hosts that were not on the AppleTalk network.  I assume KIP still
works this way.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET
----------

farallon@well.UUCP (Farallon Computing) (06/02/88)

Jeff Meyer at Fluke asked whether K-boxes pass throught the burst
of packets that occur at startup time, thereby clogging up ethernet.  The
burst of packets comes from the need to do a node address bid.  These are
3-byte LAP packets that seek to ensure that no other device has the node
address that the newly-booted device intends to use.  The node address
only has to be unique within the zone (defined by the K-box usually).
The Kinetics box does not need to pass on the packets and does not.
--
Kurt VanderSluis		Voice:  (415) 849-2331
Farallon Computing 	Email: farallon@well.UUCP

Ravinder.Chandhok@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (06/02/88)

>Jeff Meyer at Fluke asked whether K-boxes pass throught the burst
>of packets that occur at startup time, thereby clogging up ethernet.  The
>burst of packets comes from the need to do a node address bid.  These are
>3-byte LAP packets that seek to ensure that no other device has the node
>address that the newly-booted device intends to use.  The node address
>only has to be unique within the zone (defined by the K-box usually).
>The Kinetics box does not need to pass on the packets and does not.
>--
>Kurt VanderSluis		Voice:  (415) 849-2331

One more time, with feeling.  The broadcast burst is LOCAL TO THE CABLE.  It
has nothing to do with zones, or nets, just node numbers.  It is a LAP level
braodcast, which does not get forwarded by the gateway (KBox).  LAP only
knows about node numbers, you need DDP to use a net number.   In general,
the "node address bid" is a local cable hardware broadcast, which is why
there is a problem on Ethernet if you use something like a LanBridge and
EtherTalk.

Rob

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (06/09/88)

In article <849.581266019@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU> Ravinder.Chandhok@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) writes:
>                                                              In general,
>the "node address bid" is a local cable hardware broadcast, which is why
>there is a problem on Ethernet if you use something like a LanBridge and
>EtherTalk.

This tends to imply problems with a LanBridge on very fast back-to-back
packets. Since we have some suspicions about such cases, having many such
bridges around, as well as Ethertalk, could we have some more details on
this problem?

(maybe this ought to be in the lan newsgroup!
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp
| | |   |     _      /  \  _   __  _   __  _|    jmg@cernvax.bitnet
| | |_|_| \_/\___    \__/ \___|   (_|_|   \_|_ 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (06/14/88)

Hi,

I didn't mean to imply that LanBridges could not hanlde back-to-back
packets, just that you don't want the flurry of broadcasts propogating
through your Ethernet (which will happen with a LanBridge)

Rob