[comp.protocols.appletalk] KFPS-II's and KIP 6/88

wicinski@NRL-CSS.ARPA (tim wicinski) (06/17/88)

We have a few Kboxes, model I's which work great. no problems once we
picked up the new Kinetics ROMs.  We went out and bought a bunch of
model II's figuring these would be better, and all we have had are
problems.  We have the "patched" model II's, i.e. the ones that have the
capicator attached to the chip.

What happens is that the box will configure and work fine, then for
unknown reasons, totally disappear from the net.  You can ping them from
ethernet, but running CheckNet from Farallon, or the CAP 'atlook' programs
shows nothing.  Running the
FastPath Manager shows nothing either.  "atalkad boot" gets a "no
response from xxx" followed by a "aaCONF", "aaROUTE"... But running
'atlook' still shows nothing. The only way to get the box working is to
physically power cycle it.  Has anyone seen this problem before ? it's
real hair-pulling as nothing seems to trigger the Kbox, it disapears
from sight.

thanks
tim

mab@j.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Brown) (06/18/88)

In article <8806162128.AA12713@nrl-css.arpa> wicinski@NRL-CSS.ARPA (tim wicinski) writes:
>What happens is that the box will configure and work fine, then for
>unknown reasons, totally disappear from the net.  You can ping them from
>ethernet ...  Running the
>FastPath Manager shows nothing either. ...
>The only way to get the box working is to
>physically power cycle it.  Has anyone seen this problem before?

I had a similar problem a few times with our KFPS-2.  It also has the
hardware mod with the moved capacitor, and showed exactly the symptoms
described in Technical Bulletin #1 which documents the hardware mod.
In my case, the K-box would run just fine and flake out every 2-3
weeks.  It wouldn't respond to pings and the FastPath Manager couldn't
find it.

A nice lady in Kinetics' tech support group (sorry, can't find her
name) thought it could be a bad RAM.  She suggested cycling the power
without reloading the K-box the next time it crapped out.  If that
worked, the capacitor might be bad or have a bad connection.  If not,
probably bad RAM.  The K-box has worked flawlessly since then (3 months
now), so I haven't had a chance to further diagnose the problem.

FYI, we run KIP 09/87 and CAP 4.0 with patches 1-15 and some local mods
to lwsrv and papif.  I'm planning to upgrade to the new KIP/CAP stuff
later this summer.  Please mail/post a warning if you discover it's a
software problem.

Mike Brown, Systems Programmer		ARPANET (best): mab@j.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University Computing Center	BITNET: xmab@purccvm
West Lafayette, IN 47907		PHONE: 317/494-1787

rgb@lamont.Columbia.edu (bob bookbinder) (06/21/88)

In article <8806162128.AA12713@nrl-css.arpa>, wicinski@NRL-CSS.ARPA (tim wicinski) writes:

> What happens is that the box will configure and work fine, then for
> unknown reasons, totally disappear from the net.  You can ping them from
> ethernet, but running CheckNet from Farallon, or the CAP 'atlook' programs
> shows nothing.

	The same thing happens here, but only on one Ethernet segment with three
KFPSII's's. The other kboxes (four of them) each on other Ethernet segments seem
to stay up for months. The segment that has trouble also has the most traffic and
is running with 2+% collisions (occasionally higher). We are running patched CAP 4
and KIP with an October 1987 date. Sometimes the boxes will stay up for a few days
and sometimes they will only live for hours. The only way out is a power cycle or
a complete reload, but usually just a power cycle will fix it.