[comp.protocols.appletalk] another Mac Ethernet card

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (06/21/88)

In article <2135@uoregon.uoregon.edu> jqj@drizzle.UUCP (JQ Johnson) writes:
>Until recently, Kinetics was (so far as I know) the only manufacturer
>of Ethernet cards for the Mac SE.  I recently saw an ad for Information
>Presentation Technologies [818-347-7791], who claim to be shipping a much
>less expensive MacSE Ethernet card.  Does anyone know anything about the
>card or company?  Do the popular Mac networking software packages, e.g.
>Apple's EtherTalk driver, NCSA Telnet, etc., work reliably with it?

I talked with IPT about a month ago, and then received some of their
technical information.  IPT is apparently a spin-off from Apollo
computer, and markets a product (Ushare) that ties Macs, Apollos and
PCs together on the same network. Their system allows you to use an
Apollo network as the fileserver for PCs and Macs.  You can use
Appletalk on the Macs, or you can buy their $495 ethernet card and plug it
into your SE/II.  I don't have the technical info in front of me, but I
think their board supports TCP/IP and NCSA Telnet.

Prior to the Mac II announcement, I heard _rumors_ of a joint
Apple/Apollo venture to produce a low-end Apollo workstation that would
support Macintosh software on an Apollo network.  The venture was
apparently nixed by Sculley, followed by the announcement of the Mac
II. Too bad it failed. The Apollo Domain network is, in my opinion, the
Macintosh of networks--highly intuitive, and very simple to set up and
operate.  And it runs circles around Sun/ethernet under heavy network
loads. But, like the Mac it has its down side--it has a closed
architecture.

Hope this helps.
-----
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    1103 9th Ave., Suite 203
    Honolulu, Hawai`i 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

ARPA: uhccux!medix!martin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax,ihnp4}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!medix!martin