[comp.protocols.appletalk] Using PCs with CAP/KIP?

shmuli@shum (06/26/88)

    I think I remember reading that IBM PCs (clones) connected to
Apple/LocalTalk cannot access the files on a CAP server (assuming that the net
is connected to Ethernet via a FastPath box) - there was no client software.
Is it possible now that Apple has released PC AppleShare??  Has anyone tried
this yet?!
      Shmuel

A.Eric@GSB-WHY.STANFORD.EDU (Eric M. Berg) (06/27/88)

        I think I remember reading that IBM PCs (clones) connected to
    Apple/LocalTalk cannot access the files on a CAP server (assuming that the
    net is connected to Ethernet via a FastPath box) - there was no client
    software.  Is it possible now that Apple has released PC AppleShare??  Has
    anyone tried this yet?!

We tried this, and I described some of the problems we encountered in
several messages posted to this list in mid-April (which I am resending
to SHMULI%SHUM%etc).

We have Apple's PC AppleShare cards in a large number of PCs and clones in
our new faculty office building.  The PCs are able to run Telnet and FTP
(using the Stanford PC/IP software, modified by the Stanford Networking
Systems software developers to use an AppleTalk rather than an Ethernet
driver) through a Kinetics box running the KIP code just fine.

However, we did run into problems with the CAP programs.  In particular,
the PC AppleShare hosts couldn't connect to an AUFS fileserver, and they
couldn't send files over AppleTalk to the LWSRV program.

According to Robert Lenoil of Apple, the problem was a bug in the ROM chips
of the PC AppleShare cards.  We now have new ROMs (or new cards, I forget
which) that supposedly solve the problem.  I don't know whether we've
had a chance to test the CAP programs with the new cards yet.

						Eric M. Berg
						Computer Facility
						Graduate School of Business
						Stanford University
-------

mckay@HARBOR.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Dwight D McKay) (06/27/88)

--- Your message of: Sunday, 06/26/88 ---
   From:  shmuli@shum
   Subject:  Using PCs with CAP/KIP?

       I think I remember reading that IBM PCs (clones) connected to
   Apple/LocalTalk cannot access the files on a CAP server (assuming that the net
   is connected to Ethernet via a FastPath box) - there was no client software.
   Is it possible now that Apple has released PC AppleShare??  Has anyone tried
   this yet?!
         Shmuel
--- end of message ---

We tried this last year with a BETA copy of AppleShare PC.  After a discussion
with Charlie Kim I found out that AUFS doesn't support "short-names" which are
needed by machines with OS's which believe in eight character file names.

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu,   usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: MSEE 104F, phone: (317) 494-3561]

cck@cunixc.columbia.edu (Charlie C. Kim) (06/28/88)

In article <12409639315.11.A.ERIC@GSB-WHY.Stanford.EDU> you write:
>However, we did run into problems with the CAP programs.  In particular,
>the PC AppleShare hosts couldn't connect to an AUFS fileserver, and they
>couldn't send files over AppleTalk to the LWSRV program.
>
>According to Robert Lenoil of Apple, the problem was a bug in the ROM chips
>of the PC AppleShare cards.  We now have new ROMs (or new cards, I forget
>which) that supposedly solve the problem.  I don't know whether we've
>had a chance to test the CAP programs with the new cards yet.

There does seem to be a problem with checksums on the appleshare pc
cards and lwsrv should work after this problem is fixed (actually, you
could have patched lwsrv like atlook is patch); however, Aufs does NOT
support AppleShare PC nor are there any current plans to make it does
so.  Be warned so you don't waste time :-).

Charlie C. Kim
User Services
Columbia University