[comp.protocols.appletalk] What zones can be accessed from my Mac?

djh@munnari.oz (David Hornsby) (06/28/88)

In article <626@tasis.utas.oz> luke@tasis.utas.oz (Luke Visser) writes:
>Ok, the question is this, how do I find what zones are accessible from a
>particular Mac attached to a network?

"Inside Appletalk" (available in Australia from AAPDA) details the Zone
Information Protocol (ZIP). ZIP uses ATP to do 'GetZoneList' and
'GetMyZone' commands. ZIP uses DDP for 'ZIP Query', 'ZIP Reply', 'ZIP takedown'
and 'ZIP bringup'. There are no specific calls (unless in a new release) - you
have to construct a/an DDP/ATP packet with the right bytes.

>We use MultiGate (an AT bridge) and from the details that accompanies it
>it has the zone names that are (physically) connected to it hard-programmed
>into it.

Multigate can act as a 'seed' gateway for network numbers and zone names.
This information is set at configuration time. If not set, Multigate will
use information obtained from another seed gateway. Multigate uses ZIP.

> <more stuff - deleted>

Use ZIP.

>Can someone in Apple explain the rationale of zones, from what I can tell
>from the doco and also talking with some of the net people here they are
>somewhat of a pain.

Zones are useful for what they were originally intended to do - logically
group a set of AppleTalk networks. They would be much more useful if some
form of (non-kludge) security access existed. Apple .... ???

David Hornsby, University of Melbourne, djh@munnari.oz