[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetics and telnet.

amy@TAURUS.BITNET (06/28/88)

I have some problems to connect a mac->kinetics->unix host .
I'm using the new 'load file' etalkgw.srec to try to connect
a unix host (class B network) to talk with mac (ncsa-telnet).
the unix host 'can see' the kinetics box (arp find its etheraddress,
but the box does not answere to ping(should it..?)) and the mac
just "couldn't connect to : ...."
I think my routing parameters in the config file is wrong .
(I don't have the full documentation.)

what should be the format/values of the :

1.      ipsubshift , #bits of ipsubmask
2.      gatewayname (for routing)
3.      AppleTalk side : -      net number (decimal || octal)
4.      Ethernet side  : -      zone name (.. the options for routing)

thanxs in advance .

Ami Ben-Amram , Systems Programmer      ARPANET (best): amy@math.tau.ac.il
                                        BITNET: amy@taurus
Tel-aviv university
School of math&science,
Ramat-aviv,Tel-aviv.
Israel.69978

edb@cerebus.UUCP (Ed Bunch) (07/01/88)

In article <801@taurus.BITNET> <amy%TAURUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>I have some problems to connect a mac->kinetics->unix host .
>I'm using the new 'load file' etalkgw.srec to try to connect
>a unix host (class B network) to talk with mac (ncsa-telnet).
>The mac just "couldn't connect to : ...."
>I think my routing parameters in the config file is wrong .

I have a similar problem with my FastPath. Our Sequent has the unfortunate
IP address of 128.1.230.0. Its the "0" that gets us. Apparently the Telnet
software on the Mac thinks were broadcasting and won't. When you try to telnet
you get the connect error and an error that flashes quicky at the top right of
the screen "can't broadcast on subnet". I don't know if this is proper behavior
or not. But it seems that my only solution is to not use any bytes of the IP
address as all 0.

--
Right to the heart of the matter.               Edward Bunch
Right to beautiful part.                        Fujitsu America Inc.