[comp.protocols.appletalk] Printing from PCs on AppleTalk?

shmuli@shum (06/30/88)

    > however, Aufs does NOT support AppleShare PC nor are there any current
    > plans to make it do so.  Be warned so you don't waste time :-).

    > Charlie C. Kim

Oh dear.  Does this mean that I cannot use lwsrv either.  If so this brings me
right back to my original problem.
I'd like to use CAP/KIP for file sharing & print spooling from the Macs.
I assume that I can also print to an Appletalked LaserWriter from the Suns.
What will give me spooling from the PCs connected to AppleTalk with CAP
running??
    Shmuel

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (07/02/88)

In article <8806300838.AA16569@shum.Huji.AC.IL> shmuli@shum writes:

> Oh dear.  Does this mean that I cannot use lwsrv either.  If so this brings me
> right back to my original problem.
> I'd like to use CAP/KIP for file sharing & print spooling from the Macs.

Can do... especially now that the System 6.0 package includes the AppleShare
client as a standard item.

> I assume that I can also print to an Appletalked LaserWriter from the Suns.

Yup.

> What will give me spooling from the PCs connected to AppleTalk with CAP
> running??

There's a product called PC-NFS available from Sun.  It permits
NFS-mounting of Sun file systems onto the PC, and also contains a
print-redirector that routes LP output from the PC to a daemon on the
Sun, which then spools it.  We've been able to modify our CAP "papif"
print-driver to work with the not-quite-correct PostScript files that
our PC applications create.

Unfortunately, PC-NFS requires an EtherNet card on the PC;  it doesn't
(as far as I know) grok AppleTalk.

I *think* that TOPS for the PC includes an AppleTalk-compatible print
spooler/redirector, but I could very well be mistaken.  You might be able
to coerce this into working with lwsrv... if it exists!

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303