[comp.protocols.appletalk] BITNET <--> AppleLink Gateway- what's the other direction?

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (07/17/88)

Someone recently posted the address for the gateway from BITNET to AppleLink.
Unfortunately, that person did not specify a route for the other direction,
AL -> BITNET. If email can flow in that direction, could someone PLEASE tell
me how? I'm sure that others would like to know, so post news...

Thanks in advance
--
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                       {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (07/19/88)

In article <5601@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Someone recently posted the address for the gateway from BITNET to AppleLink.
>Unfortunately, that person did not specify a route for the other direction,
>AL -> BITNET. If email can flow in that direction, could someone PLEASE tell
>me how? I'm sure that others would like to know, so post news...
>
>Thanks in advance
>--
>Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
>Writing from                       {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
>The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
>Public UNIX                         if mail fails: ...cmcl2!cucard!cunixc!abr1

I had this saved on my account from a while ago, and I have never tried it,
so don't know how valid it is (although the first part matches a recent post)
= "When I was young, all I wanted was to be  | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu -    =
=  ruler of the universe.  Now that isn't    |   Glenn Andreas              =
=  enough" - Alex P. Keaton                  |                              =

In article <1428*kenw@noah.arc.cdn> kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:

>  Does anybody know what's happening with that gateway between Bitnet and
>Applelink? I was talking to Kinetics the other day; they have network access
>to Applelink only. There's stuff going by here that they should be see.
>
>/kenw

They just extended it through August, and anyone on bitnet can sen or receive
from anyone on Applelink.  The format is:

From Bitnet-Applelink:

In the To: field, XB.DAS@STANFORD.BITNET
In the Subject: field, USER1@APPLELINK!Optional Actual Subject

From Applelink-Bitnet:

In the To: field, DASNET
In the Subject: field, USER1.ADDRESS@STANFORD.BITNET!Optional Actual Subject

I just tried it and it works.  Now to get Apple people to use it...

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (07/19/88)

Regarding the BITNET/Internet <-> AppleLink gateway, be aware that not
all AppleLink users are authorized to receive messages via this
gateway.  My roommate is an Apple contractor, and when I tried to send
her a message from here, I got back something that said "The
destination AppleLink account is not authorized to receive this
message."  The reason, of course, is that Apple has to pay for the
message, which goes via DASNet, a for-pay universal mail forwarding
service ("you mean networks aren't all free??").  I imagine all real
Apple employees can get messages this way though.

For more info about DASNet, by the way, you can send a message to

             To:  XB.DAS@stanford.bitnet           {via Bitnet}
                  XB.DAS@forsythe.stanford.edu     {via Internet}
        Subject:  [11]AnnaB!Request for DASNet Info

It's an interesting service, with hooks to systems world-wide.  I have
no connection with them, by the way, not even as a customer.

- RL "Bob" Morgan

scott@h-three.UUCP (scott) (07/22/88)

Are there connections from usenet to AppleLink ?

--
Scott H. Crenshaw
h-three Systems Corporation             {akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti!h-three!scott

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (07/24/88)

From article <256@h-three.UUCP>, by scott@h-three.UUCP (scott):
> Are there connections from usenet to AppleLink ?

Just send mail to stanford.bitnet.  If you have a smart mailer:

mail xb.das@stanford.bitnet
Subject: user1@applelink!whatever the real subject is

If you have a dumb mailer, you will need to determine what the closest
gateway is between your UUCP site and BITNET.  Two that I can think of
are rutgers and psuvax1.

For instance:

mail {whatever the path is}!rutgers!stanford.bitnet!xb.das

 Pat Hirayama, Computer & Information Services, Seattle U, Seattle, WA 98122

	 UUCP:  ..!uw-entropy!{dataio,thebes}!suvax1!hirayama
	   or:  suvax1!hirayama@entropy.ms.washington.edu