[comp.protocols.appletalk] FTP for the Mac

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) (08/06/88)

Hello. I am looking for a ftp program for the Mac. I already have NCSA
Telnet 2.2 which ftp's nicely, but you have to connect to a site (in our
case our UNIX system ) first via telnet, and then issue a ftp command. Is
there something out there that does nothing but ftp? One specific use of
this for me would be accessing the archives at SUMEX. Now, I have to use
Telnet to connect to our local UNIX machine, login, and do an ftp to the
SUMEX site, ftp files to back to our UNIX machine, disconnect from SUMEX,
and then issue an ftp command on our machine (via the Telnet application) to
get the files on to my mac. If I had an ftp program I could ftp directly to
SUMEX and put the files directly on my mac....

Thanx for your help....

"A mouse in the hand is worth two on the desktop..."

Mark Frost (humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU)

davef@Jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (08/09/88)

In article <4420@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:

>Hello. I am looking for a ftp program for the Mac. I already have NCSA
>Telnet 2.2 which ftp's nicely, but you have to connect to a site (in our
>case our UNIX system ) first via telnet, and then issue a ftp command. Is
>there something out there that does nothing but ftp?

Stanford University's implementation of IP (called SU-Mac/IP) allows
you to have up to three telnet sessions and one ftp session open at
the same time.  The ftp isn't "client" ftp like NCSA, so you don't
have to log in to the host first.  The software should work with
either the Kinetics or Stanford-KIP codes.

My understanding is that licensing is available for university users.
Send mail to macip@jessica.stanford.edu for more information.

David Finkelstein
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu