[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk on a PC

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) (07/29/88)

Help!!!!!!!! We have an AppleTalk system in our division which we use to
print to our LaserWriters and support AppleShare usage. We would like to
allow our few remaining PC users to print to the LaserWriters via the net
also. We purchased a TandyLink board for our AT&T 6300 (this first one is
just for test purposes - to see if it works at all...) and also the
TOPS NetPrint software.

NetPrint won't work, (I get a "AppleTalk Initialization error...") and
according to the TOPS people we need to have an AppleTalk driver file.
Apparently, this driver file is included with TOPS' own FlashCard (?) board
and a similar driver comes with Apple's PC Link (?) board. But for the
Tandy - no such thing. The people that I talk to at Tandy techical support
don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I've seen something recently on
the net, suggesting that TandyLink could be used with AppleTalk. If so how?

We have received this TandyLink board for 30-day evaluation (up very soon),
and we need to determine whether or not it can be used to print to LaserWriters
very soon.

If we can't use it for AppleTalk, is there anyone out there who has had
experience with some of the other boards? Recommendations?

Thanks very much for your help....

Mark Frost (humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu)

dpz@pilot.njin.net (David P. Zimmerman) (08/22/88)

In article <5612@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> john@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (John Hogan) writes:

> The last time I asked a question in this group (I wondered about
> TOPS support for internets via 2400 bps modems and the Hayes
> Interbridge), someone from TOPS responded immediately with a beta
> version (2.08) of TOPS that would solve the problem I had.  This
> was a nice surprise.

Hmm - think they could come up that quickly with a bugfix to the
problem of no available site-licensing?  :-) Nice stuff, but it's been
branded "EVIL" around here due to that inflexibility.

						David
--
David P. Zimmerman, Rutgers, the NJIN Project, the UUCP Project, etc, etc
dpz@pilot.njin.net       {rutgers,njin}!dpz       zimmerman@zodiac.bitnet