[comp.protocols.appletalk] What to do for mail?

rob@GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU (Robert Kassel) (08/22/88)

We're in the process of switching from using a DEC-20 for mail and text
processing to using a network of Mac's.  I've been having difficulty
locating applications to handle mail.

Here's the situation I envision.  We will have a Sun 4 acting as a file
server and store-and-forward mailer.  Alternatively, we could use a Mac
as a mail server.  We will be using a Cayman Systems GatorBox as a
network bridge.  Users start up an application on a workstation which
allows them to read and send mail using a Mac-style interface.  SMTP is
a must.  It would be nice if a user is alerted to the availability of
new mail, but that is not a necessity.  It would also be nice if
Mac-to-Mac mail within the office could include pictures and files.

Does anyone know of anything with these capabilities?  I'd appreciate
anything you have to say.  If you want a summary of the responses I get,
please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

						ROB

budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) (08/23/88)

A fine question!  At MacWorld I prowled the entire MicroSoft display,
and found many Macs wearing "Running MicroSoft Mail!!" stickers, but
never any glossy (never mind solid) information.

While ideally I feel that a Mac client implementation of IMAP2 (or
even MH/POP) piggybacked onto NCSA Telnet would be ideal, I am not yet
ready to try to create a seamless Mac application.  I'd rather try to
build a CAP server for a prexisting, supported Mac client.  Much the
way AUFS requires no special Mac software.

What Mac Mail packages exist (multimedia or plain text) that depend of
a central server?  Mail systems with central servers best fit the
model of Mac usage (you can turn it off and still get mail), as well
as being good targets for building servers using CAP on Un*x hosts.

	-Phil Budne, Boston University

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (08/24/88)

From article <19880822142451.5.ROB@PADDINGTON.MIT.EDU>, by rob@GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU (Robert Kassel):

> We're in the process of switching from using a DEC-20 for mail and text
> processing to using a network of Mac's.  I've been having difficulty
> locating applications to handle mail.
>
> Here's the situation I envision.  We will have a Sun 4 acting as a file
> server and store-and-forward mailer.  Alternatively, we could use a Mac
> as a mail server.  We will be using a Cayman Systems GatorBox as a
> network bridge.

I have not yet purchased a mail system for our macintosh network, but have
been looking at all the options and trying to find one that is able to
talk to our existing unix mail system.  I know of 5 systems:

D------	DaynaMail
|I-----	Inbox
||M----	Microsoft Mail
|||Q---	Quickmail

    S	Talks to unix
DIMQ	Talks to other Macs
DI  	Talks to PCs
   Q	Will talk to PCs (announced)
 IMQ	Will talk to unix in the future (announced)
   Q	Talk to ASCII/Serial hosts (this may be a way to get unix connectivity)

D MQ	Requires Macintosh running Mail Server full time
  MQ	Mail Server can coexist with AppleShare and LaserShare
DI Q	Can substitute AppleShare Server for Mail server

DIMQ	Always Accessable (DA)
DIMQ	Incoming message notification  (INIT)
DIMQ	Attach other documents (Write/Paint/Draw etc)
DIMQ	Return Receipts
 IMQ	Password and Automatic logon

--------

Stanford's program, from tidbits that I have found on the net is an
application (as opposed to a da), can not notify you of incoming mail,
and is not suitable for mac to mac mail.  I have not seen the package,
literature on it, or anything else concrete, so I can't be sure of my info
on it.

--------

I have looked closest at quickmail.  The company impresses me.  I have
QuickKeys by them, and am impressed by it.  They sent me gobs of
information about Quickmail and the rest of their product line (I have
one page of info that the others sent).

---------

I have only listed items that interest me, and that I have found in
the information that I have.  Although I have tried to be thorough ,
may be missing some features of some packages, or marked some features
that are not there.

--------

Current market trends have everyone scurrying to interface to SMTP or
other large scale networks, so I expect that the everyone will
eventually have the connectivity that I want (just not now :-( ).

--------

A company, Star nine, is putting a gateway between AUX and QuickMail into
beta testing.  They estimate that with in a year they will have a version
working on a vax with 4.3BSD, and maybe sooner if the interest is there.
I said that I was very interested.  If you have any questions about this
or want to encourage them along, you can contact Elizabeth McGee at
starnine%mcgee@uunet.uu.net

--------
Let me know if you come up with anything else interesting.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

Richard_Vernon_Ford@cup.portal.com (08/24/88)

In your search for a Mac Mail system, be sure to contact CE Software.  They
have a new product QuickMail which supports many of the features you mentioned
including bundling of files and graphics with mail messages.  Other features
include zone support, real-time conferencing between zones, two way mail
forwarding to/from MCI Mail and Compu$erv.  In a joint venture with StarNine
Technologies Inc. they have developed a QuickMail<->Unix Mail Gateway,
*e-Mail.  StarNine also developed TOPS for A/UX.  I saw the product
demonstrated at MacWorld with a Mac II running A/UX and an SE but
haven't used it personally.  As far as I'm aware it is shipping.
Quickmail and *e-Mail are separate compatible products, purchasing one
doesn't include the other (as far as I'm aware).

Microsoft, Think Technologies, and Dayna (sp?) also make Macintosh Mail
products.  Others more familiar with them can provide more information
than I.  Anyone?

-Richard
richard.ford@andrew.cmu.edu

(I don't work for either company, I'm just spreading the word...)
addresses:

CE Software Inc.
1854 Fuller Rd.
PO Box 65580
West Des Moines Iowa 50265 USA
(515) 224-1995

StarNine Technologies, Inc.
2126 Sixth Street
Berkley, CA 94710  USA
(415) 451-9789
FAX: (415) 845-1115
UUCP: uunet!starnine!mcgee

rob@GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU (Robert Kassel) (08/25/88)

    Date: 23 Aug 88 05:10:34 GMT
    From: budd@bu-cs.bu.edu  (Philip Budne)

    A fine question!  At MacWorld I prowled the entire MicroSoft display,
    and found many Macs wearing "Running MicroSoft Mail!!" stickers, but
    never any glossy (never mind solid) information.

    While ideally I feel that a Mac client implementation of IMAP2 (or
    even MH/POP) piggybacked onto NCSA Telnet would be ideal, I am not yet
    ready to try to create a seamless Mac application.  I'd rather try to
    build a CAP server for a prexisting, supported Mac client.  Much the
    way AUFS requires no special Mac software.

    What Mac Mail packages exist (multimedia or plain text) that depend of
    a central server?  Mail systems with central servers best fit the
    model of Mac usage (you can turn it off and still get mail), as well
    as being good targets for building servers using CAP on Un*x hosts.

Right now I know of two: Microsoft Mail and Quick Mail (from CE
Software).  Both allow you to write translators to other mail systems,
but so far the only announced translators are for AppleLink and MCI
mail.

					ROB