    From: rohlicek%bbn.com@bbn.com  (Robin Rohlicek)
    Subject: IBM-PC appletalk card with documented driver ?

    Does an IBM-PC appletalk card and MSDOS driver exist for which the
    driver interface is documented?  If not, is the hardware interface for
    any of the available appletalk cards documented or has anyone reverse
    engineered one of the boards?

Apple's AppleTalk PC driver is documented, although I don't believe that it is
available yet through APDA (our normal channel for technical documentation).
The document is called "LocalTalk PC Card and Driver Preliminary Note".  Don't
let the "Preliminary" scare you; its technical content is completely accurate.
Apple's Developer Technical Support group should be able to locate a copy for
you.  If they can't, send me mail and I'll fix things.

Robert Lenoil
Network Systems Development group
Apple Computer, Inc.
-------

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (09/14/88)

In article <12430319775.45.LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU> lenoil@apple.com writes:

>    From: rohlicek%bbn.com@bbn.com  (Robin Rohlicek)
>    Subject: IBM-PC appletalk card with documented driver ?
>
>    Does an IBM-PC appletalk card and MSDOS driver exist for which the
>    driver interface is documented?   [stuff omitted ...]
>
>Apple's AppleTalk PC driver is documented, although I don't believe that it is
>available yet through APDA (our normal channel for technical documentation).
>The document is called "LocalTalk PC Card and Driver Preliminary Note".
>    [stuff omitted ...]
>Robert Lenoil
>Network Systems Development group
>Apple Computer, Inc.
>-------

also be aware of the "AppleTalk PC Card Reference Guide", whose apple part
number is M2224.  I haven't seen this manual yet, so I can't say if it
will be of any use, and with a name like that it may have even been superceded,
but it is on our current parts list.  We have a copy on order so I may
be able to give you more information later.  Good luck.

On a related note, does anyone have experience changing the extended
character sets used with the "PC Laserwriter Program" (which is called
"LW" on the PC diskettes)?  I would like to hear from anyone who has
pushed this program, as I am having trouble re-mapping characters and the
manual seems to be no help.

Thanks

Rich Akerboom    Internet:  boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert S. Lenoil) (09/24/88)

In my last message I said that I didn't think that the AppleTalk PC
driver documentation was available through APDA.  I called developer
technical support today and found out that I was wrong - you can get a
copy through APDA.  It should be in the networking section of APDAlog.

Robert Lenoil
Apple Computer, Inc.