[comp.protocols.appletalk] TCP/IP via SuperMac CommCard on a Mac II

david@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (David Wilson) (09/22/88)

We have the following network in our department:

	===================================================== Ethernet
			|		|		|
		   +--------+	   +--------+	   +--------+
		   | MacII  |	   | KFPS-3 |	   |Sequent |
		   +--------+	   +--------+	   +--------+
			|		|
	--------+-------+-------+-------+-------+------------ Localtalk
		|		|		|
		More macs		   laserwriter

The localtalk for the MacII running A/UX is provided by a SuperMac
CommCard. This allows A/UX users to spool printouts to the laserwriter.
If a mac user on the localtalk network wishes to login to the A/UX
system using telnet he goes via the KFPS-3 onto the ethernet and into
the Mac II.

Question 1:	Has anyone implemented a layer of software that would
		allow the CommCard to appear as though it were an ethernet
		card so that telnets to this machine would not need to
		go out onto the ethernet [and presumably let a MacII
		running A/UX to be networked without an ethernet card].
		This software would encapsulate TCP/IP inside Appletalk
		packets as well as allowing utilities such as ifconfig to
		be used.

Question 2:	If such a layer of software were written, would it then be
		possible for a MAC II with both interfaces to replace the
		KFPS altogether, performing routing between the Localtalk
		and ethernet networks?

David Wilson	Department of Computing Science, University of Wollongong
		david@uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.au

paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) (09/25/88)

In article <5298@wolfen.cc.uow.oz> david@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (David Wilson) writes:

>The localtalk for the MacII running A/UX is provided by a SuperMac
>CommCard. This allows A/UX users to spool printouts to the laserwriter.
>If a mac user on the localtalk network wishes to login to the A/UX
>system using telnet he goes via the KFPS-3 onto the ethernet and into
>the Mac II.

	I designed the CommCard and did all the software .....

>Question 1:	Has anyone implemented a layer of software that would
>		allow the CommCard to appear as though it were an ethernet
>		card so that telnets to this machine would not need to
>		go out onto the ethernet [and presumably let a MacII
>		running A/UX to be networked without an ethernet card].
>		This software would encapsulate TCP/IP inside Appletalk
>		packets as well as allowing utilities such as ifconfig to
>		be used.

	Yes ... this all works now, 'in the lab', it needs to be 'productised'
	the main piece of work required to be done is to make a 'nice' system
	installation script that is straight forward for even naive users,
	this is VERY difficult, they have to have their hands held through
	IP addresses (and their translations to Appletalk addresses) etc
	(probably the nicest thing about Appletalk is that users don't have
	to do anything like this ... so this is what they expect)

	One nice thing you get from this is the ability to log into A/UX
	over Appletalk using NCSA Telnet using only LocalTalk cabling ....
	this seems to be what most people want ...

>Question 2:	If such a layer of software were written, would it then be
>		possible for a MAC II with both interfaces to replace the
>		KFPS altogether, performing routing between the Localtalk
>		and ethernet networks?

	Yes - this also works, it's not a cost effective replacement for
	a K-box (who wants to buy a Mac II, A/UX and a CommCard, a K-box
	or gatorbox is much cheaper and just sits in the corner out of the
	way).

	I've also done an EtherTalk interface for the CommCard system (using
	the Apple Ethernet board, so you can do gateways but I'm waiting
	for that interface to settle down).

		Paul Campbell

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca
	E-mail:		..!{ucbvax,hoptoad}!unisoft!paul