[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problems with cap5.0 lwsrv

jonab@CAM.UNISYS.COM (Jonathan P. Biggar) (10/01/88)

I have cap 5.0 up and running fine, except I can't get lwsrv to run.
I am running kip 9/87.

I can spool from my SunOS 3.5 machines using papif to a appletalk
laserwriter ok, but when I attempt to start lwsrv on my sun, it
fails.  Here is a debug trace from lwsrv

sdckronos# /usr/local/cap/lwsrv -n 'Cam LW+:LaserWriter@*' \
-p clw -a /usr/local/cap/dicts \
-f /usr/local/lib/LWPlusFonts -dldanpisk
debugging LAP
debugging DDP
debugging ATP
debugging NBP
debugging PAP
debugging INI
debugging ASP
debugging SKD
ddp: open socket: opened socket 129
lwsrv: Spooler starting for Cam LW+:LaserWriter@*.LaserWriter.*
lwsrv: simple: Font list from file /usr/local/lib/LWPlusFonts
lwsrv: (re)Scanning for Procsets
ddp: open socket: opened socket 130
NBP SndNBP: sending
port for at-nbp is 770
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout...exit to abSleep
NBP nbp_timeout: 4 tick timeout on 251657036, 3 remain
NBP SndNBP: sending
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout... timeout occurred exit to abSleep
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout...exit to abSleep
NBP nbp_timeout: 4 tick timeout on 251657036, 2 remain
NBP SndNBP: sending
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout... timeout occurred exit to abSleep
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout...exit to abSleep
NBP nbp_timeout: 4 tick timeout on 251657036, 1 remain
NBP SndNBP: sending
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout... timeout occurred exit to abSleep
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout...exit to abSleep
NBP nbp_timeout: 4 tick timeout on 251657036, 0 remain
abSelect enter... 0 doTimeout... timeout occurred exit to abSleep
NBP SndNBP: sending
abSelect enter... 1 fdlistenread call
NBP status done: found 251657036
exit to abSleep
lwsrv: SLInit failed: -1027
sdckronos#

Here is my /etc/atalkatab file:
#
55.0	H	128.170.0.100	CAMARILLO
56.1	KC	128.170.0.100	CAMARILLO
	I128.170.0.0	I128.170.0.1		#ipbroad ipname
	I128.170.0.8	L0			#ipdebug ipfile
	L0 L0 L0 L0	S0 S0			#ipother unused unused
	LX0		S0	S9		#flags ipstatic ipdynamic
	S56.1	S55.0	"CAMARILLO"		#atneta atnete zonea

And here is my /etc/atalk.local file:
# mynet mynode myzone
55.0 8 CAMARILLO
# bridgenet bridgenode bridgeIP
55.0 100 128.170.0.100

The IP address of the host I am running on is 128.170.0.8.

Can anyone give me a clue why this doesn't work.  I had it working once,
but lost the configuration files and I don't seem to be able to reconstruct
it correctly.

Jon Biggar
jonab@cam.unisys.com

nassi@encore.UUCP (Ike Nassi) (10/03/88)

In article <437@sdcjove.CAM.UNISYS.COM>, jonab@CAM.UNISYS.COM (Jonathan P. Biggar) writes:

> I have cap 5.0 up and running fine, except I can't get lwsrv to run.
> I am running kip 9/87.
>
> I can spool from my SunOS 3.5 machines using papif to a appletalk
> laserwriter ok, but when I attempt to start lwsrv on my sun, it
> fails.  Here is a debug trace from lwsrv
>
> <removed...>
>
> Can anyone give me a clue why this doesn't work.  I had it working once,
> but lost the configuration files and I don't seem to be able to reconstruct
> it correctly.
>
> Jon Biggar
> jonab@cam.unisys.com

I have aufs installed, and can get to the laserwriter through transcript,
papof, papif, etc.  That is, I can print to the lw as if it were a unix
printer, but not through lwsr from the mac.  I can even "see" the laserwiter
from the chooser.  my files get downloaded (apparently, light blinks on the
lw), but nothing comes out.

My guess is that cryptic reference in the README file for lwsrv dealing
with the smooth and stretch functions, which I haven't removed yet.

Do I edit the "FoundProcSet" file, or somehow edit LaserPrep itself on
the mac?  the README file didn't say.  If I edit the FoundProcSet file, how
long can I expect the edit to stick?  If I edit out stretch and smooth, what
breaks?  If I want to define stretch and smooth, so that nothing breaks,
how do I do it?

---
Ike Nassi

rapatel@athos.rutgers.edu ( Rakesh Patel) (10/03/88)

	You need to edit the "FoundProcSet" file on the unix machine.
You probably want to rename it to something like laserprep66 or
something similar to distinguish which laserprep (appledict) it is
for. The things you need to change are in the instructions with CAP.
There are some things not in there that I'll list here.

	There are a few lines that should be commented out (at least
in appledict 65 and 66) by placing a "%" in front. The lines that
contain "statusdict begin" (3 total - two have the word "waittimeout"
in them and the other starts off with "ok{statusdict begin" ), are the
ones that need to be commented out.

	Providing you specify the "-T quote8bit" option to lwsrv, and
if you are using the lastest release of transcript,and using the
laserprep that generates appledict 66, you should be able to leave in
the smoothing code. I have found that that this works for
LaserWriters, LaserWriter Plus, and QMS PS800 IIs (change the product
definition to look for "QMS" instead of "LaserWriter" in the "LW"
macro).

	I have not tried the smoothing code with laserprep65 or
anything after laserprep66, however, it works with laserprep66 for
printers connected to suns running transcript and for spooling to
localtalk connected laserwriters. For spooling to localtalk
laserwriters, be sure NOT  to use the "-T quote8bit" option.

Rakesh Patel