[comp.protocols.appletalk] .. Mac and PC TELNET/FTP programs...actually does

netnews@caen.engin.umich.edu (CAEN Netnews) (10/07/88)

From: jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John Francis Mansfield)

In article <Added.UXEw0cy00Ui38Pt094@andrew.cmu.edu> K4TDS@SCFVM.BITNET ("Thomas D. Schardt") writes:
>We recently installed IBM's TCP/IP product and are currently

On a similar note, we have a small appletalk net of 6 macs and one pc
and a kbox to talk to the outside world.  All the machines are
connected together on appletalk allowing tops use and teh pc can use
the laserwriter.  My question is does anyone have an implementation of
NCSA telnet or similar that would use appletalk and the kbox instead
of using an ethernet card? Apologies if this is obviously impossible,
I dont know that much about the pc side of things.  I really dont want
to invest money in an antiquated pc ( :^) ) when I have so much
invested in macs.
Any comments on thsi would be nice.
Cheers Jfm.

John Mansfield, North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory,
2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143. Ph: (313)-936-3352.
__________
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (10/08/88)

John Mansfield writes:

> My question is does anyone have an implementation of NCSA telnet or
> similar that would use appletalk and the kbox instead of using an
> ethernet card?

Stanford's SU-PC/IP, which provides Telnet, FTP, lpr, whois, and
finger clients, and an implementation of a MH-POP client for mail
service, has a driver that works over a LocalTalk adapter (any of them
should work, though I think we've only tested TOPS and Apple) for the
PC.  It's available at nominal cost to *University* licensees (flames
to management, please).  (In fact, I'm sure someone at UMich already
has it.)  For more info contact "pcip@jessica.stanford.edu".

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford