[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP problems

moyman@DEGREE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (J Michael "Mac" Moya) (10/13/88)

>   From: munnari!bruce!goanna!yabbie!rcodi@uunet.uu.net  (Ian Donaldson)
>   Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED with KIP ROUTING
>   Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 04:29:52 EST

>   We have almost exactly the same problem with telnet on our Mac's.
>   Here is our current network topology:

	    Vaxen   Suns    HP9000's
	      |      |         |
	      |      |         |                       Comp-Sci cable 128.100

				128.100.11.42 (1st ethernet board)
			      [ENCORE Multimax]
				192.9.200.42  (2nd ethernet board)

				      |                Comm-Eng cable 192.9.200
	     |     |                        |
	     |     |                        |
	    Suns  PC's            [ Kinetics-Fastpath-3 ]

					    |          Appletalk cable

	   Macs

>   The Mac's in the above diagram can talk to any Sun on the Comm-Eng cable
>   using telnet/ftp/aufs with no problems at all.  They cannot however
>   talk to the Encore or anything on the Comp-Sci cable at all.
>   The Comm-Eng Suns have no problems talking to the Encore but they each needed
>   a "route add" to talk properly initially.  Likewise on the Comp-Sci cable,
>   their Vaxen and Suns can talk to us ok but a "route add" was needed.
>
>   atalkatab info, etc follows...

The first problem I see is with the Comp-Sci network Aufs not being seen:

For each Kinetics box, it serves one network, only one.
Machines with interfaces on that one network are the only ones that can
use it.  That is what the atalk.local file is for per machine, it specifies the
route anything on that machine must take to get to the appletalk network and
visa versa, so you could have Aufs running on the vaxen or Suns on the Comp-Sci
net but what do you put in atalk.local??, it has no direct interface to
the Comm-eng ethernet, but what about the ENCORE gateway you say?.
In a word, subarping, if this is not going on, nothing will be seen elsewhere
from this network.  The only solution from there that I can think of is to use
the atalkrd daemon that comes with KIP.

As far as the telnet problem:

I suspect you haven't given a nameserver (ENCORE??) within the config.tel file.
Telnet needs something to look up names if they aren't listed in the config
file I believe.

I hope this has been helpful...

J Michael Moya
Engineering Computer Network