[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP troubles??

moyman@DEGREE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (J Michael "Mac" Moya) (10/13/88)

From: kddlab!titcca!kogwy!rena!toku@uunet.uu.net  (Y.Tokugawa)
Subject: HELP wanted with K-Star config.
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 01:06:43 EST

>   I have two Mac SE and two kbox and one Laserwriter. I want to shar
>   my LaserWrter with both Mac. My network diagram is as follows:

>       -network map here...

>   With my configuration, NCSA telnet works fine on both Mac.
>   But I can't see AppleTalk zone "AppleTalk1" from mac2.
>   Can I shar my Laserwriter? Any advice will be welcome.
>   I would be very happy, if you send me a sample configuration
>   of atalkatab and K-Star configuration via mail.

>   -- toku --
>   Yoshitaka Tokugawa		toku%rena.dit.junet@uunet.uu.net
>   dit Co., Ltd. Tokyo Japan	{somewhere}!{vortex|bigtex}!rena!toku

I think the problem you can not share the LaserWriter or see the other
appletalk network is because you need another KIP administrative host
on the "Appletalk2" zoned ethernet.  The Fastpath will work as
a gateway as you described with K-Star but without an atalkatab file
being loaded in at bootup, it has no idea the other box exists, you
should have an identical atalkatab on each administrative host, on
each ethernet, only in this way can each box know of the other...and
see each others devices...

J Michael Moya
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University