[comp.protocols.appletalk] HyperCard doesn't work with Aufs

stoltz@ida.org (Bill Stoltz) (10/19/88)

We have Aufs installed on a Sun and have copied HyperCard stacks,
which work fine on a Mac's local disk, to the Shared Volume and
can not get HyperCard to read the stacks.  We do not have any problems
accessing any other files, MS Word, MacWrite, etc all read and write
without any problems.

I turned on Debug and packet trace for Aufs and found that HyperCard
is asking for the file "hOmE".  Any file requested by HyperCard will
have this every other character Capitalized, problem.  It is like this
in the OpenFork packet from the Mac,see below.

From the Aufs log file:

> DmpBuf for OpenFork (26 0x1a) length = 18
>  000000 1a 00 00 02 00 00 01 42 03 42 00 33 02 04 68 4f 6d 45
>          .  .  .  .  .  .  .  B  .  B  .  3  .  .  h  O  m  E
> OSOpenFork: open mode bits are octal 63
> OSOpenFork: Opening /tmp/HyperSales Folder/hOmE for Read/Write
> unix_open: fd=-1, mode=2, path=/tmp/HyperSales Folder/hOmE
> unix_open: failed No such file or directory
> DmpBuf for OpenFork (26 0x1a) length = 0
> DmpBuf for OpenFork (26 0x1a) length = 36
>  000000 1a 00 00 02 00 00 01 42 03 42 00 33 02 16 00 48 79 70 65 72
>          .  .  .  .  .  .  .  B  .  B  .  3  .  .  .  H  y  p  e  r
>  000020 43 61 72 64 20 53 74 61 63 6b 73 00 68 4f 6d 45
>          C  a  r  d     S  t  a  c  k  s  .  h  O  m  E
> No such component HyperCard Stacks

If I rename a stack to have the every other Cap letter, then HyperCard
works.

My Question is WHY is this happening?  Does HyperCard work with a "real"
AppleShare Server?  Does it send these packets to a "real" AppleShare
server?  What can be done, besides renaming all the stacks, to fix
this?

I do not have a Apple AppleShare Server to test this on.

Thanks,

Bill

PS.  The sound in these stacks sounds terrible.  I don't know if it is
the sun or does it normally sound this bad over AppleTalk?
Bill  Stoltz					    Internet:  stoltz@ida.org
Institute for Defense Analyses		UUCP:	   daitc!ida.org!stoltz
1801 N. Beauregard St.
Alexandria, Va 22311				Voice:  (703) 845-2119

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (10/19/88)

The problem you describe of a stack having other letter of its name
capitalized is actually a bug fix to a minor low-level Mac OS problem
encountered with read-only media.  This fix was put into HC version 1.2.

This fix was taken out recently due to the many other problems that were
caused, and I believe the OS problem was fixed in System 6.0.

Version 1.2.2 of HyperCard will therefore NOT capitalize every other
letter and HyperCard should work fine.  Version 1.2.2 will be available
someday... it has been dragged way out and should have been done months
ago.  Look for it Real Soon Now.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/20/88)

In article <570@cs.IDA.ORG> stoltz@ida.org (Bill Stoltz) writes:
>I turned on Debug and packet trace for Aufs and found that HyperCard
>is asking for the file "hOmE".
>My Question is WHY is this happening?  Does HyperCard work with a "real"
>AppleShare Server?  Does it send these packets to a "real" AppleShare
>server?  What can be done, besides renaming all the stacks, to fix
>this?

HyperCard really is changing the case of the filename when it then looks for
a file.  Under the Mac operating system (including real AppleShare), file
name lookups are case-insensitive, so HyperCard works.  Unix (running AUFS)
however, is case sensitive, so the name lookup usually fails.

I've talked to one of the people at Columbia about the problem, but they
are uncertain what to do about it, since it is such a fundamental difference
in the operating systems.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy