[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP Limitations?

jmvogtle@ICARUS.CNS.SYR.EDU (John M. Vogtle) (11/01/88)

Here at Syracuse University we're running KIP and K-STAR with very
good results - too good as a matter of fact.  The Appletalk nets on
campus are growing rapidly and we can see the KIP atalkad 64 entry
limit quickly approaching.

I seem to remember someone on the net having similar problems some
time ago but I can't remember how the situation was resolved.  Does
anyone know if the 64 entry limit can be broken??? If not, what are
people doing to get around it?

Any and all help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
  ___
 (   >      /                   John M. Vogtle
  \_/______/_  ____             Systems Programmer
 / /  (_) / /_/ / <_            Syracuse University
<_/				Internet:   jmvogtle@icarus.cns.syr.EDU
                                AT&T Net:   (315) 443-5772
"One planet is all you get."    Snail Net:  221 Machinery Hall
                                            Syracuse University
                                            Syracuse, New York 13244-1260

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (11/02/88)

John Vogtle writes:

> Here at Syracuse University we're running KIP and K-STAR with very
> good results - too good as a matter of fact.  The Appletalk nets on
> campus are growing rapidly and we can see the KIP atalkad 64 entry
> limit quickly approaching.
>
> I seem to remember someone on the net having similar problems some
> time ago but I can't remember how the situation was resolved.  Does
> anyone know if the 64 entry limit can be broken??? If not, what are
> people doing to get around it?

There are a number of limits in KIP that might be a problem in large
installations.  They are listed in a file called "limits" in the KIP
documentation.  Herewith:

> o Space taken by ALL zones names: 256 bytes (256, azonenames,
> glob.h).  Every zone name is stored as a pascal string so each one
> takes strlen + 1 bytes of storage.
>
> o Number of zones: 32 (NAZONES, azone, gw.h)
>
> o Number of dynamic IP addresses: 32 (NIPDAD, ipdad, NIPDAD)
>
> o Number of routes: 64 (NAROUTE, aroute, gw.h).  This includes all
> routes configured from atalkatab and all acquired routes.

Here at Stanford, with a recent large-scale dorm installation
complete, we're up to somewhere around 120 Kboxes on campus.  At one
LocalTalk-AppleTalk network per Kbox, and some substantial number of
both IP-encapsulated-Atalk (is IPTalk a common term for this? Is it
trademarked?) and EtherTalk networks, there's probably over 200
AppleTalk networks on campus.  We had our "64 crisis" in May of this
year, I think.

Our way of dealing with it was to encourage organizations that could
to run their own atalkad servers, creating what I have come to call
"separate AppleTalk universes" (is there some more widely-used term?).
We now have seven or so, the largest with about 50 networks listed.

Each universe is theoretically incommunicado with all others, since
they don't know routes, zones, etc.  Some people like this "security"
feature.  However, if two universes agree on network numbers and zone
names, and a particular network (that is, Kbox, IPTalk, or Etalk net)
is listed in both universes's atalkatabs, a server device (LW,
AppleShare server, CAP, etc) will be able to be located and used by
stations from either of the universes.  This might be used to set up
one or more nets that act as a central point of contact between all
the universes, but we haven't done this yet.

One likely future hazard is the growing use of EtherTalk.  If two
Kboxes from different universes share the same Ethernet cable, and
both use EtherTalk, they will see each others' RTMP broadcasts, and
all routes, etc will flow between them, possibly exceeding KIP table
limits.  And there's really no way for us to prevent it or tell when
someone's about to do it (this is the dark underside of
plug-and-play).

It seems that K-Star, unlike KIP, doesn't use fixed table sizes for
routing tables and such, so it's hard to find out the corresponding
numbers to those critical KIP limits.  It's anyone's guess whether a
large network made entirely of KFPS-4s running K-Star would run into
implementation-based limits, or would expose inherent AppleTalk
limits, or just work fine.  There are certainly rumbles that
changes/extensions to AppleTalk are in the works at Apple to address
these and other issues.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford