[comp.protocols.appletalk] NFS for Mac under Mac OS?

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/09/88)

If anyone knows of an NFS implementation for the Mac (*not* running
A/UX), I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/11/88)

In article <30744@think.UUCP>, ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:

> If anyone knows of an NFS implementation for the Mac (*not* running
> A/UX), I'd like to hear about it.
>

> Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
> Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214
>
>      On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
>      into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

Here at U of M, Apple contracted a group to implement NFS for the MacOS
last year.  It runs under UM-CITI's own MacIP implementation right now
(not the new MacTCP or SuMacIP, NCSA, etc.)  Apple has full rights to
the stuff written, so it can't be distributed outside UM right now.
Work is being done to port the NFS implementation to MacTCP next year...

My initial reaction to NFS on the mac--  slower than AUFS when using
LocalTalk, but almost as fast as a HD over Ethernet based IP.

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken