[comp.protocols.appletalk] tweaking NCSA Telnet's ftp performance?

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/09/88)

TMC just bought two Kinetics EtherPort II cards to speed up file
transfer to our Macs because ftp through the Kinetics gateway was too
slow and error-prone. (Slow: < 4K bytes/second.  Error-prone: in a set
of 34 files averaging 3.5M bytes each, two had extra bytes inserted
and had to be retransmitted.)  The EtherPort cards came with NCSA
Telnet 2.1e among other software.

As soon as we got a card installed, I tried some sample transfers to
check performance.  The default settings (mtu = 512, maxseg = 512,
rwin = 512) gave me 4.2KB/S.  Opening the window all the way (rwin =
4096) tripled that figure to 13KB/S.  (This is under system software
6.0.2, without MultiFinder since it seems cripple ftp performance.)
Unfortunately, the manual isn't very informative about the maximum
values for mtu and maxseg in the absence of a Kinetics gateway.

Questions:

1. Is there an NCSA Telnet 2.2e?  I looked around briefly at
   zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu, but I only saw 2.2, not 2.2e.

2. What are the actual limits on mtu and maxseg?  Can I expect
   noticably improved performance if I increase them?  What are
   the hazards or drawbacks of larger values?

I'm also interested in any general folk wisdom about tuning ftp, since
I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance,

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/10/88)

In article <30734@think.UUCP> ephraim@think.COM (that's me) writes:
>Questions:

>1. Is there an NCSA Telnet 2.2e?  I looked around briefly at
>   zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu, but I only saw 2.2, not 2.2e.

OK, OK, RTFM.  2.2 combines the AppleTalk and Ethernet versions, as it
says in the changes list.  Now I know.

>2. What are the actual limits on mtu and maxseg?  Can I expect
>   noticably improved performance if I increase them?  What are
>   the hazards or drawbacks of larger values?

>I'm also interested in any general folk wisdom about tuning ftp, since
>I'm new to this.

I'm getting very confused about this.  I'm retrieving files from a VAX
8800 on TMC's "main net."  Running ftp directly to VAX gets me
5.3KB/S.  Running ftp to the gateway machine (a Sun 3/280) or to a
diskless Sun 3/50 on the same subnet as the Mac gets me 13 or 14KB/S.

Can anyone explain why going straight to the VAX is a disadvantage?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (11/10/88)

In article <30734@think.UUCP>, ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
  [Kinetics EtherPort II]
> As soon as we got a card installed, I tried some sample transfers to
> check performance.  The default settings (mtu = 512, maxseg = 512,
> rwin = 512) gave me 4.2KB/S.  Opening the window all the way (rwin =
> 4096) tripled that figure to 13KB/S.  (This is under system software
> 6.0.2, without MultiFinder since it seems cripple ftp performance.)
> Unfortunately, the manual isn't very informative about the maximum
> values for mtu and maxseg in the absence of a Kinetics gateway.

For hosts sitting on your Ethernet, you can bump the mtu and maxseg to 1024.
This won't work for going across the internet, though, since NCSA
telnet can't handle fragmentation.  Also, since 6.0.2 provides the
WaitNextEvent trap, telnet thinks it's under MultiFinder.  Setting
timeslice=0 should tweak things up a little bit.

Something that may be a limiting factor about the EtherPort II is that
it uses the Intel Ethernet chip, which does not handle collisions or
back-to-back packets very well.

> 1. Is there an NCSA Telnet 2.2e?

2.2 handles both LocalTalk and Ethernet.  if you put 'hardware=ether'
in your config.tel, it will use your EtherPort II.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Corporation, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/11/88)

In article <30734@think.UUCP>, ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:

> 1. Is there an NCSA Telnet 2.2e?  I looked around briefly at
>    zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu, but I only saw 2.2, not 2.2e.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
> Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

The ethernet & KIP based telnet programs were merged in the 2.2 release.
The config.tel file now contains an entry to specify what kind of network
interface layer you want to use:  "AppleTalk" for KIP, "EtherSC" for SCSI
Ethernet devices from Kinetics, "Ether" for Ethertalk boards (kinetics and
Apple), and a few more things...   The 2.2 Docs and sample config.tel
file conatin a great dela of info on this stuff, as well as recommended
settings for maxseg,mtu, etc.

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) (11/12/88)

From article <720@lts.UUCP>, by amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker):
> Something that may be a limiting factor about the EtherPort II is that
> it uses the Intel Ethernet chip, which does not handle collisions or
> back-to-back packets very well.

Actually, people have seen anywhere from 1 to 3 megabits/second (application
level data) using the EtherPort II card (and we get quite reasonable(*)
performance using our FTP client).

Greg Minshall					Kinetics
...!ucbvax!unisoft!kinetics!minshall		(415)947-0998

(*) "quite reasonable"?  Well, say greater than 50Kbytes/second in binary
mode (depending, somewhat, on your local disk/configuration).  We've seen
over 90Kbytes/second at times.

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (11/14/88)

In article <668@kinetics.UUCP>, minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:
> Actually, people have seen anywhere from 1 to 3 megabits/second (application
> level data) using the EtherPort II card (and we get quite reasonable(*)
> performance using our FTP client).
>
> Greg Minshall					Kinetics
> ...!ucbvax!unisoft!kinetics!minshall		(415)947-0998
>
> (*) "quite reasonable"?  Well, say greater than 50Kbytes/second in binary
> mode (depending, somewhat, on your local disk/configuration).  We've seen
> over 90Kbytes/second at times.

Lest anyone misunderstand me, I like the EtherPort II.  I have one in
my Mac II, and so far the FTP performance that I've measured has been
limited by the other end (at the moment, a 3B2/300... Ick :-().
Anything that doesn't overload the 82586 isn't a problem.  However,
very fast hosts can make it an unhappy camper.  Ephraim Vishniac, for
example, noticed that he can talk to a Sun just fine, but gets
miserably slow performance when talking to a VAX 8800 (Ephraim: please
correct me if I'm wrong).  Somehow I doubt it's the VAX that is the
bottelneck... :-).  If the hosts you're talking to are not fast enough
to send more than two back-to-back Ethernet packets, you should be
fine.  If they are though, you might want to try various boards in
your machine to see how they work *on your network* before you buy a
lot of them.

Disclaimers:  We sell TCP/IP software for the Mac.  So does Kinetics.
We don't sell hardware.  We like and use Kinetics hardware, in fact.