[comp.protocols.appletalk] Can I use KIP w/out a BSD Host?

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) (11/09/88)

Question first, explanation next.  Can I set up a KBox running
KIP so that it doesn't need a BSD host to boot from?

We have started using Stanford's TCP/IP for the PC over LocalTalk,
but cannot get it running through the standard subnetting which runs on
the old KBoxes (no real suprise, but an annoyance.)  We have also
run out of gateway table space on one of our hosts, so a move to KIP
would be indicated, but I don't have access to a reliable UN*X host
to run the administration software on.  I can run 'stand-alone'
with KSTAR but we can't afford to upgrade all of our KBoxes.

Can I 'force-feed' a gateway with a proper prompt.config file?  Is it
possible to use Stanford's TCP without KIP? Am I just exposing my
ignorance to the entire network?

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike Califf
Communications Programming Coordinator
Baylor University
Waco, TX

bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR
THEnet:   BAYLOR::CALIFFM
span:     UTSPAN::UTADNX::BAYLOR::CALIFFM
voice:    (817) 755-2711

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/09/88)

In article <Added.sXRo61y00Ui3IeS09g@andrew.cmu.edu>, CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) writes:

> Can I 'force-feed' a gateway with a proper prompt.config file?  Is it
> possible to use Stanford's TCP without KIP? Am I just exposing my
> ignorance to the entire network?
>

> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Mike Califf
> Communications Programming Coordinator
> Baylor University
> Waco, TX
>
> bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR
> THEnet:   BAYLOR::CALIFFM
> span:     UTSPAN::UTADNX::BAYLOR::CALIFFM
> voice:    (817) 755-2711

I think there's some sort of '1234' flag in the sample prompt.config
file in one of the older KIP distributions which allows you to specify
all the new params (just like K-Star trys)

-dave
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (11/15/88)

Michael Califf <CALIFFM%BAYLOR.BITNET@vma.cc.cmu.edu> asks:

> Question first, explanation next.  Can I set up a KBox running KIP so
> that it doesn't need a BSD host to boot from?
>
> We have started using Stanford's TCP/IP for the PC over LocalTalk, but
> cannot get it running through the standard subnetting which runs on
> the old KBoxes (no real suprise, but an annoyance.)  We have also run
> out of gateway table space on one of our hosts, so a move to KIP would
> be indicated, but I don't have access to a reliable UN*X host to run
> the administration software on.  I can run 'stand-alone' with KSTAR
> but we can't afford to upgrade all of our KBoxes.
>
> Can I 'force-feed' a gateway with a proper prompt.config file?  Is it
> possible to use Stanford's TCP without KIP? Am I just exposing my
> ignorance to the entire network?

The last lines of the sample "prompt.config" file that's distributed
with KIP would lead you to believe that there is a way to configure
all the setup information in that file, rather than being obliged to
fetch it from a Unix machine running "atalkad".  As far as I know,
however, this doesn't work.  Be aware, though, that the Unix system
could be anywhere on your Internet (it doesn't have to be on your
local subnet), and that "atalkad" puts virtually no load on the Unix
host.  You may be able to chat up the manager of some stable Unix box
somewhere . . .

Also, Stanford PC/IP-over-LocalTalk does not work with the traditional
Kinetics "IP subnet" software.  No plans to make it do so, since that
software is fast approaching obsolescence.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford