[comp.protocols.appletalk] Electronic mail using EtherTalk and SMTP

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (11/11/88)

Subj: Elektronic mail using EtherTalk and SMTP

Hello!

We are working on a project for Lund University Computing Center in
Sweden concerning electronic mail between Macintosh and the World.
On Mac, the interface will be in ordinary Macintosh style.

We want to connect our LocalTalks to an existing Ethernet using
bridges or EtherCards.

One Macintosh connected to Ethernet via EtherCard is intended to be a
local mailserver, handling mail from and to Macs on LocalTalks. It will
also hold mail files for a Mac user not currently reachable.

To communicate with other systems (Unix, VAX/VMS...) there are also two
central mail servers connected to the Ethernet. One server is running
PMDF on VAX/VMS and the other Sendmail on Ultrix.

SMTP will be used to communicate with the central mailserver and
AppleTalk on Ethernet (EtherTalk) to communicate with the Macs. In
other words, we want the local Mac mailserver to speak two protocols
on Ethernet, EtherTalk and TCP/IP (SMTP), at the same time.

We have the source for NCSA Telnet, and are planning to use the
TCP/IP part from this source implementing SMTP.

o  Suggestions?
o  Doing the same thing?
o  Is it possible?
o  TCP/IP on Mac?
o  AppleTalk for VMS?
o  NCSA Telnet libraries (or other)?

Lars Sigebo & Joakim Bengtson
            Lars Sigebo                     Joakim Bengtson
BITNET:     Lars_S@SELDC52                  Joakim_B@SELDC52
Internet:   Lars_S@ldc.lu.se                Joakim_B@ldc.lu.se

Any feedback is very appreciated!!!

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/17/88)

In article <1988Nov11.150011.11328@LTH.Se>, newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) writes:
> Subj: Elektronic mail using EtherTalk and SMTP
>
> Hello!
>
> We are working on a project for Lund University Computing Center in
> Sweden concerning electronic mail between Macintosh and the World.
> On Mac, the interface will be in ordinary Macintosh style.

  <Stuff deleted>

> We have the source for NCSA Telnet, and are planning to use the
> TCP/IP part from this source implementing SMTP.
>

> --
> Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
> Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52
> Internet: roland_m@ldc.lu.se   or   roland_m%ldc.lu.se@uunet.uu.net
> UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!enea!ldc.lu.se!roland_m    AppleLink: SW0022

 Why not use Apple's new MacTCP product instead of NCSA's code?
 The problem with using Application Resident TCP/IP is that you
 can't run more than one TCP/IP program at a time.  Here at U of M
 we were running MacNFS (developed here) and also wanted to use
 NCSA Telnet at the same time-- unfdortunately the UM MacIP stuff
 loads at boot and the NCSA kernel loads whenever you run the program
 and is GONE afterwards-- each driver was incompatible with the
 other & thus you couldn't run telnet & be using MacNFS at the same
 time.

 Other useful useful utilities are being built with MacTCP and you'd
 hate to make your package incompatible with them.

 NOTE:  I'm not saying to wait for MacTCP to start working OR not
        to use NCSA's code as a temporary solution, but think about
        making your code so that it can be recompiled to utilize MacTCP.

-dave falkenburg

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (11/17/88)

From article <3fb3f279.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu>, by falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R  Falkenburg):

>  Why not use Apple's new MacTCP product instead of NCSA's code?
>  The problem with using Application Resident TCP/IP is that you
>  can't run more than one TCP/IP program at a time...

There are about $2500 good reasons not tose MacTCP.  Clearly a better solution
is needed (read: really implement ISO layering as in AppleTalk), but at that
price...

=Ned Horvath=

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/19/88)

In article <589@poseidon.ATT.COM>, ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
> There are about $2500 good reasons not tose MacTCP.  Clearly a better solution
> is needed (read: really implement ISO layering as in AppleTalk), but at that
> price...
>
> =Ned Horvath=

Actually $2500 buys you a site license to MacTCP (i think).  I guess
it isn't FREE like NCSA's stuff or other packages, but at least it's a
standard that keeps really neat networking programs from stomping on
each other.  Here in the academic world, $2500 buys us a copy of MacTCP
for each one of our 300 Macintoshes, and so it doesn't seem like that
much.  Then again not verybody is in our situation.

Has anybody in the "real" world thought of creating an AppleTalk
Mail protocol standard?   I realize that companies like Microsoft,
TOPS, Symantec, CE Software (QuickMail)  all use different protocols
& all claim their own is the best.   Isn't it about time that Apple
(or collection of folks along with them)  design a REAL standard
mail protocol for AppleTalk?  There seems to be a lot more experitise
out here in USENEt-land concerning network protocols than in some
isolated developer island.  Is apple taking a "wait and see what
emerges" attitude toward endorsing or creating a new protocol?

-dave falkenburg