[comp.protocols.appletalk] Whew! My first flame war

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/23/88)

From amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) Mon Nov 21 21:14:00 1988
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk
Subject: Re: Macintosh TCP/IP, what is there?

>In article <3fcd4c3b.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu>,
>falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R  Falkenburg) writes:
>> Berkely Sockets are the ACCEPTED way of programming for networking
>> applications with as little pain as possible.

>Well, that's debateable.  Let's say they are the COMMON way, under
>UNIX.  Look, I'm glad the friendly folks at Berkeley did the 4.2 & 4.3
>network code.  Yeah, it's a little grody, but, by and large, it works.
>More importantly, it has been widely distributed to serve as a testbed
>and basis for further development.  But just because it has done a
>good job at this doesn't mean it's The One True Way to do networking,
>especially on a machine that provides a different suite of basic
>services.  The Mac is not a UNIX box (A/UX aside, and if you're
>running it, you get sockets...).  The Mac doesn't have the cheap
>multitasking of UNIX, and UNIX doesn't have the cheap asynchronous I/O
>of the Mac.  This difference, among others, is why how networking is
>done differently.

<stuff deleted>

>Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net

>"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- N. Negroponte

My major argument has been that sockets should be there becasue there what
Unix people use to program TCP streams.  I guess i was being a bit "Unix"ish
by implying that sockets were the accepted way everywhere.  ( i dunno
I only program Macs and Unix machines-- more on the Mac)   I agree that
parameter block calls are better for actual development (less overhead, etc.)

The only issue I was really trying to raise was to try and find out *WHY*
apple left out sockets..   Everybody I had talked to thought that it was a
major fopah on Apple's part.

-dave falkenburg
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network