[comp.protocols.appletalk] Serial Port Emulation over Appletalk?

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (11/23/88)

Is there a driver around that will convince programs that want to use
the serial port to use an  established telnet connection instead?

An example where this would pay is with Mathematica. The Mac
Mathematica can act as a front end for a more potent computational
version of Mathematica. It would be nice to be able to do the
connection over Appletalk/Kinetics bridge rather than with a direct
serial port.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

ariza@srava.sra.JUNET (Michiharu Ariza) (11/28/88)

In article <3442@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is there a driver around that will convince programs that want to use
>the serial port to use an  established telnet connection instead?

I think this is within the reach of what I am trying to do now.
I am writing a telnet driver in order to redirect my serial-based
terminal emulator to FastPath. This driver handles read and write calls to
communicate with a telnet session and recognizes several special cscodes
to assign an IP address and open a telnet connection.  The driver can
handle only one telnet session at a time but ftp is implemented in it.

Currently the terminal emulator is aware that he is talking with the
telnet driver but I don't think it's so difficult to make it
look same as the serial driver, and then only I have to do is to
write a cdev to open a connection and replace the slot in the unit table
with the telnet driver.

Anyway the driver code is not yet stable enough and I am not sure when
I can work on the scheme explained above...

	Michiharu Ariza
	Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo
	JUNET: ariza@sra.junet
	UUNET: ariza%sra.junet@uunet.UU.NET