[comp.protocols.appletalk] Telnet via LocalTalk for PCs?

jcpearso@CS.UCL.AC.UK (James Pearson) (11/30/88)

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a version
of NCSA Telnet (or something similar) for PCs using LocalTalk boards?

Thanks.

James Pearson				JANET: jcpearso@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Dept. Photogrammetry & Surveying	 ARPA: jcpearso@cs.ucl.ac.uk
University College London		 UUCP: ...!ukc!cs.ucl!jcpearso
Gower Street
London	WC1E 6BT
UK

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (12/01/88)

> I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a
> version of NCSA Telnet (or something similar) for PCs using LocalTalk
> boards?

The Stanford SU-PC/IP package includes drivers for PCs using LocalTalk
boards.  SU-PC/IP v3.0 includes multiple-session Telnet, FTP, finger,
whois, and mail-handler clients, and also runs on 3Com (all models)
and Western Digital WD8003E Ethernet adapters.  It's available to
Universities only (sorry) for $100, which gives you the executables
(no source; sorry, again), a license for unlimited copying within your
institution, and a paper manual.  Send mail to

   "pcip@jessica.stanford.edu"

for ordering info.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

kh@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Kevin Hammond CMP) (12/01/88)

In article <11093.596892151@UK.AC.UCL.CS>, jcpearso@CS.UCL.AC.UK (James Pearson) writes:
> I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a version
> of NCSA Telnet (or something similar) for PCs using LocalTalk boards?

We obtained a  copy of NCSA  TelNet 2.2 for  the Mac from qmc.cs using
JNT FTP (hhcp). Some of the files mentioned were for the  PC, I assume
LocalTalk  version.  The FTP  account was   guest with  no password (I
assume  that they  don't mind  who   accesses this within  reason  and
therefore won't mind me passing this on).

The README file:

The files available are all compressed (compress/uncompress
program source available on request). When uncompressed they contain:

NCSA Telnet 2.2
===============
mactel.Z:               Macintosh binary in HQX format
mactel.doc.Z:           MS-Word (Mac) User/Adminstrator doc in HQX format
mactel.hack.doc.Z:      MS-Word (Mac) supplementory doc in HQX format
mactel.src.Z:           MPW-C src in HQX format
pctel.src.tar.Z:        PC sources in tar format.
pctel.tar.Z:            PC binary in tar format.

Columbia AppleTalk Package
==========================
cap50.tar.Z             Version 5.0 of the CAP package

We also have the KIP 0688 stuff for Kinetics AppleTalk/Ethernet
gateways if you need that as well.
--
Wot? No Signature?			UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!kh
					JANET:	kh@sys.uea.ac.uk

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (12/01/88)

In article <11093.596892151@UK.AC.UCL.CS>,
	jcpearso@CS.UCL.AC.UK (James Pearson) asks:
> I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a version
> of NCSA Telnet (or something similar) for PCs using LocalTalk boards?

We sell an enhanced version of NCSA Telnet for the PC that will work with
the AppleTalk PC board, the TOPS PC board, or any other LocalTalk board
that comes with an Apple-compatible device driver.

It is available in the U.S. from InterCon (See my signature below for the
address), and in England from our British distributor, MAXIMA:

	MAXIMA
	48 Queen Street
	Exeter, Devon, EX4 3SR
	Phone: 0392-434071
	FAX:   0392-412228

For more details, contact MAXIMA or InterCon directly (so as to avoid using
the net for commercial purposes).

Hope this helps,

--
Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090