[comp.protocols.appletalk] aufs/hypercard?

schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) (12/07/88)

	I can't get Hypercard to open any stacks on our aufs server (a Sun 4
with CAP 5.0 + several patches).  Hypercard reports file system error -50.
	Does this work for other people?  If not, are there plans for it?
	Thanks,
--Christopher

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (12/08/88)

In article <627428267.A2125.KSL-1186-1.schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU> schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) writes:

>	I can't get Hypercard to open any stacks on our aufs server (a Sun 4
>with CAP 5.0 + several patches).  Hypercard reports file system error -50.
>	Does this work for other people?  If not, are there plans for it?
>	Thanks,
>--Christopher

Several people here at the U of M have also experienced this,
apparently it is a bug in Aufs.  Has anyone found a way to work around
this?  Any help would be very welcome.

"See you at the barricades babe, see you when the lights go low Joe,
 Hear you when the wheels turn round, some day when the sky turns black."
						Ian McCulloch.
ARPANET: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu

schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) (12/08/88)

Thanks to all who responded to my query about stacks on aufs servers not being
accessible to Hypercard 1.2.1 users.  Bill Croft identified the problem:

   Christopher, I think some item went by in the past about the new
   version of Hypercard:  it makes an 'open' system call with
   weird mixed case filenames such as 'FiLeNaMe'.  This is no
   problem with a Mac appleshare server, since it ignores case.  But
   aufs is case sensitive.

   I think the mixed case open was to fix some other silly hypercard
   bug, but it seems stupid to me.  I guess you could add code to
   aufs to get around this, but it sounds simpler to get a hypercard
   patch.

Armed with Bill's hint, our shared stacks are getting names like
t.h.i.s-i.s-i.t   Talk about a workaround!
--Christopher

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (12/08/88)

In article <627513620.A2253.KSL-1186-1.schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU> schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) writes:

>Armed with Bill's hint, our shared stacks are getting names like
>t.h.i.s-i.s-i.t   Talk about a workaround!
>--Christopher

Another option is to look for version 1.2.2 of Hypercard.  It is mainly a
maintenance release, and one change was it no longer mixes case when
it tries to open a stack.  You should see it at your local dealership, or
in a future AppleGram (if you receive them).

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.    (Die or Free Live)