[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP Bug Report and fix

wicinski@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Tim Wicinski) (12/11/88)

Dave Platt asked awhile ago why getzones failed with an error of -1096,
and all i told him was 'yea, it did the same for me."this only happens
when you use the new port assignments (200 and up)

Bug: getzones failed when using the new NIC port assignments (200 and
up), but would work fine otherwise.

Fix: lib/kip/abkip.c incorrectly defined the service "at-kip" and
"at-kis". the simple fix is below:

*** lib/cap/abkip.c.old	Sat Dec 10 03:00:37 1988
--- lib/cap/abkip.c	Sat Dec 10 03:01:04 1988
***************
*** 161,167
    WKS_entry("at-rtmp",rtmpSkt),
    WKS_entry("at-nbp",nbpNIS),
    WKS_entry("at-echo",echoSkt),
!   WKS_entry("at-zis",zipZIS),
    WKS_entry(NULL, 0)
  };

--- 161,167 -----
    WKS_entry("at-rtmp",rtmpSkt),
    WKS_entry("at-nbp",nbpNIS),
    WKS_entry("at-echo",echoSkt),
!   WKS_entry("at-zip",zipZIS),
    WKS_entry(NULL, 0)
  };

dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) (12/11/88)

In article <154@nrl-cmf.UUCP> wicinski@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Tim Wicinski) writes:
>Dave Platt asked awhile ago why getzones failed with an error of -1096,
>and all i told him was 'yea, it did the same for me."this only happens
>when you use the new port assignments (200 and up)
>
>Bug: getzones failed when using the new NIC port assignments (200 and
>up), but would work fine otherwise.
>
>Fix: lib/kip/abkip.c incorrectly defined the service "at-kip" and
>"at-kis". the simple fix is below:

Change
>!   WKS_entry("at-zis",zipZIS),
>!   WKS_entry("at-zip",zipZIS),
Or not?

A colleague of mine had the same problem resently. We both had installed
KIP & CAP on our systems, but getzones failed only on his.
We both used the new ddprange. The only difference was that
I got the names from the CAP documentation and he from the kip documentation.

After carefully rereading both 'KIP Installation instructions' [K] and
'CAP installation procedure'[C] we found the following:

[C, page 1, bottom line]
    ... "at-nbp", "at-rtmp", "at-echo", "at-zis". ....
					      ^
[K,section DDP START RANGE]
  In April, 1988, the NIC assigned a range of ports for using by KIP for
  "static" or "well known" assignments. In particular it assigned:
  201 - AT-RMTP
  206 - AT-ZIS
  ....       ^

[K, 15 lines down]
Following are the entries for /etc/services
	at-zip		206/udp			# udp: zip
	     ^
It seemed to me that the last one is a typo.
But is there someone who knows[NIC?] and can tell whether to apply
the patch (as Tim suggested) or change the /etc/services entry (as I did)?

Casper H.S. Dik
University of Amsterdam     |		      dik@uva.uucp
The Netherlands             |                 ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!dik