[comp.protocols.appletalk] single/multi launch

KIT@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (12/15/88)

We find on our AppleShare server that some applications are single launch
and others are multi launch. When the second person tries to use a single
launch application he gets the message "That application is busy or damaged."
With the multi launch application, any number of people can use the application
at the same time (honoring license agreements, of course.) Microsoft software
is multi launch. Most other is single.

The question: what's the difference? Try as we might to toggle appropriate
flags with ResEdit, we cannot turn a single into a multi or a multi into a
single launch application.

A related request. Connections magazine (9/88) mentions a small program
called DoppleMaker (public domain) that serves as a front end to accessing
applications on AppleShare, logging application usage and making applications
single or multi launch. Does anyone have a copy of this program? We cannot
find it.

Thanks. Kit Larsen, University of Oregon (Kit@oregon)

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (12/16/88)

	To set an application to multi-launch on an AppleShare file server,
get a copy of ResEdit version LATER than 1.1b3.  Do a get info (within ResEdit)
on the application, and click the CACHED bit.

	Earlier versions of ResEdit confuse the CACHED and SHARED bit.
This and other related issues are discussed in Macintosh Technical
Note #116, "AppleShare-able Applications and the Resource Manager."

	Please note that this should be done only on a back-up copy of the
application you wish to set as multi-launch.  Some applications,
notably those which write to their own resource forks, will bomb if
this bit is set (e.g.  SuperPaint 1.1, MS-Works 1.x, Cricket Draw
1.1).  A good heuristic is to try launching the app from a folder in
which you do not have "Make Changes" privs (i.e. a locked
environment).  If it will launch, chances are you can set it to be
multi-launch.

Christopher Krohn
Northwestern University

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (12/16/88)

Applications which fully support multi-launching should have had the shared
bit set by the manufacturer anyway, right?  More applications modify their
own resource fork or data fork than you might think...

remember just becasue a bit is set, doesn't mean that it work (and/or not
trash you system)

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/16/88)

In article <4046adab.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R  Falkenburg) writes:

>Applications which fully support multi-launching should have had the shared
>bit set by the manufacturer anyway, right?

Not if that manufacturer licenses the product for single user usage...

-- michael

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce