[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP help

moyman@DEGREE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (J Michael "Mac" Moya) (12/20/88)

Nick writes:
> but I can't see the bloody AUFS server in the Chooser.  Nor can I see
> lwsrv, all I can see is the IPGATEWAY and IPADRESS.  Has anyone got a clue?

If you are using KIP6/88 and CAP5.0 the variable "ddprangestart" in atalkatab
below must be 200 (look in /etc/services for the registered socket #'s) You
show it to be 0 below...I think that is your problem.

> 55.10   N2      126.10.0.0      Omneity         #Dept Ethernet

> 55.10   H       126.10.0.65     Omneity         #Dept Ethernet
> 90.10   KC      126.10.0.65     Omneity         #appletalk
>         I126.10.0.0     I126.10.0.41            #ipbroad ipname
>         I126.10.0.41    L0                      #ipdebug ipfile
>         L0 L0 L0 L0     S0 S0                   #ipother atnetet ddprangestart
>         LX0             S2      S16             #flags ipstatic ipdynamic
>         S90.10  S55.10                          #atneta atnete

Mike Moya
Purdue University
Engineering Computer Network

davef@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (12/21/88)

moyman@degree.ecn.purdue.edu (J Michael "Mac" Moya) writes:
>Nick writes:
>> but I can't see the bloody AUFS server in the Chooser.  Nor can I see
>> lwsrv, all I can see is the IPGATEWAY and IPADRESS.  Has anyone got a clue?
>
>If you are using KIP6/88 and CAP5.0 the variable "ddprangestart" in atalkatab
>below must be 200 (look in /etc/services for the registered socket #'s) You
>show it to be 0 below...I think that is your problem.

I don't think this is exactly true... I quote from the KIP installation doc:

"KIP had been using the range starting at 768.

"The start range can now be specified in the ddprangestart
configuration field.  It is recommended that you use the new start
range value of 200 if you can.  A value of zero implies the old range
starting at 768.  CAP 5.0 allows the use of the new port range by
installing the names in /etc/services for use by getservent.  If you
do one of these, then you must do the other."

This makes it sound to me as if you only need to set the variable
ddprangestart if you install the names in /etc/services.  Also I'm
running KIP0688 and CAP 5.0 on two machines (RT running 4.3 and Sun
4), and I haven't set the ddprangestart variable to 200, and
everything's running fine (I also haven't put the names in
/etc/services).

I noticed the following abnormalities:

>I am trying to upgrade to KIP/0688 but when I loading with FastPath
>Manager, it stalls for an uncomfortable few seconds then says
>"Sorry the gateway appears to be busy".  I click the OK button, then
>GO button, then diagnostics says KFPS lives.  I run atis and atistest -
>they appear OK.  I start aufs, and it's log looks OK (SPInit complete),
>but I can't see the bloody AUFS server in the Chooser.  Nor can I see
>lwsrv, all I can see is the IPGATEWAY and IPADRESS.  Has anyone got a clue?

Every time I get a "Sorry, the gateway appears to be busy" message, I
do a RESET and try again.  The only times I've had consistent "gateway
busy" messages are when there's been a hardware problem with the kbox.
Unfortunatley, the "KFPS lives" message doesn't really tell you
anything, since it will give you that message even if it didn't boot
correctly.  One thing to check is the atalkad log file
(/usr/adm/atalkalog) to see if atalkad processed the boot request from
the kbox.  If your box is up you can also su and say "/etc/atalkad
boot" and do a tail -f on /usr/adm/atalkalog.  If you get a "no
response" message, your box isn't booted properly.

Also, in your config file:

>* IP default route: 126.10.0.41
>7E0A0029

My understanding is that this IP address should be the IP address of
the nearest IP gateway to the other subnets on your ethernet.

Good luck.

David Finkelstein		|davef@jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources	|
Stanford University		|     Just say "please."

moyman@DEGREE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (J Michael "Mac" Moya) (12/21/88)

>  I've run our system (using KIP0688 and CAP5.0) both ways...

Your right, I too have run both ways...I failed in mentioning it...
One thing I also forgot to mention was that he (Nick) said:

>  Manager, it stalls for an uncomfortable few seconds then says
>  "Sorry the gateway appears to be busy".  I click the OK button, then

I recall this message from the Fastpath Manager if you do not click "reset"
to trash everything in the box before you load in a config file and download
code...

In addition, I wanted to say that if this was a FastPath 4 then you have bigger
I too have run both ways...problems.  Kinetics conveiently left out the K-4's
ability to use the "new" registered sockets! Great...