[comp.protocols.appletalk] Visicalc-to-Lotus123 spreadsheet conversion?

rsilver@pacsbb.UUCP (Ron Silver) (01/03/89)

I would like to transfer visicalc-spreadsheet files from my appleII+
to my ibm compatible (an at&t-6300) lotus-123 spreadsheet program to
run there.  can anyone tell me what proceedure to use.
   I do have communications programs on both machines, and could connect
their serial (rs232) ports together.
   What next?

   Any suggestions sincerely appreciated.
                                       Ron Silver
                                       ....!temvax!pacsbb!rsilver

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (01/03/89)

From article <515@pacsbb.UUCP>, by rsilver@pacsbb.UUCP (Ron Silver):

> I would like to transfer visicalc-spreadsheet files from my appleII+
> to my ibm compatible (an at&t-6300) lotus-123 spreadsheet program to

If I remember correctly there is a conversion utility that comes with
Lotus to convert Visicalc files.  To get the files accross you should
use an intelligent communications program.  Kermit in Binary mode
works very well.  Xmodem would also do.  However, you must be running
similar software on Both machines.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

jimo@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (The Eternal Optimist @ the Infernal Machine) (01/04/89)

In article <515@pacsbb.UUCP>, rsilver@pacsbb.UUCP (Ron Silver) writes:
!
! I would like to transfer visicalc-spreadsheet files from my appleII+
! to my ibm compatible (an at&t-6300) lotus-123 spreadsheet program to
! run there.  can anyone tell me what proceedure to use.
!                                        Ron Silver
!                                        ....!temvax!pacsbb!rsilver

Yes. In LOTUS (not 1-2-3) there is a translate program called (i believe)
'TRANS'. That should do it.
--
Never let anything mechanical know you are in a hurry.
Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.