[comp.protocols.appletalk] Network monitoring software

paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) (01/12/89)

We are currently considering buying some software to manage/analyze our
AppleTalk network.  Our network consists of 3 FastPath-3's and a few SE's with
EtherSC boxes and the AlisaTalk (soon to be AlisaShare) package on our
VAX-11/750 running VMS.

I've heard of InterPoll by Apple and CheckNet and TrafficWatch by Farralon,
but are there any others, and/or does anybody have any recommendations for
these packages?

				Michael J. Paisley
				PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
				PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
				PAISLEY%MTE@NCSUVX.NCSU.EDU
				70156,1117 (CompuServe)
				Materials Science and Engineering
				229 Riddick Laboratories
				Campus Box 7907
				North Carolina State University
				Raleigh, NC 27695-7907
				Office: (919) 737-7083
				Messages: (919) 737-2377
				FAX: (919) 737-3419

dlugose@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (01/12/89)

In article <8901120059.AA08765@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) writes:
>We are currently considering buying some software to manage/analyze our
>AppleTalk network.  Our network consists of 3 FastPath-3's and a few SE's with

Interpoll works well for what it does, such as showing you all devices,
what kind of device they are, and for Macs, versions of System, Finder,
and LaserWriter files.  You can test response times with various kinds
of messages to any device.  No clues about how busy the net is doing
what.  Peek, supplied by APDA is good for sampling what is going on
in the net and error rates for CRC errors and others.  If the net were
very busy, neither of these tools would tell you much about what you
can do about it.  At any rate Peek (and Poke) come with the AppleTalk
and EtherTalk manuals, which are very interesting.
Dan Dlugose, UNC Edu. Computing Service

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (01/13/89)

From article <8901120059.AA08765@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, by paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike):
> We are currently considering buying some software to manage/analyze our
> AppleTalk network.  Our network consists of 3 FastPath-3's and a few SE's with
> EtherSC boxes and the AlisaTalk (soon to be AlisaShare) package on our
> VAX-11/750 running VMS.
>
> I've heard of InterPoll by Apple and CheckNet and TrafficWatch by Farralon,
> but are there any others, and/or does anybody have any recommendations for
> these packages?
>
> 				Michael J. Paisley

If you have FastPath 2s or 3s with PROM versions 4.2 or better; or FastPath 4s
with PROM version 4.1 or better, you need Kinetics' LAN Ranger.

LAN Ranger gives a graphical, user-friendly view of the network topology and the
services.  It provides echo testing of nodes(even gateways), RTMP packet
display, graphs gateway statistics, and:

	* Monitors and manages internetworks with multiple FastPath gateways
	* Displays network services
	* Keeps track of gateway performance
	* Tracks Network activity in real time
	* Provides event logging, zone verification, plus much more

For more information, go to the Kinetics booth at MacWorld, where the unmasking
of the LAN Ranger will take place.  Prepare for a pleasant surprise.

Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.
    Mahboud Zabetian	(415) 256-3702		buzz@kinetics.uucp
     Kinetics, Inc.			...!ucbvax!mtxinu!kinetics!buzz
   2540 Camino Diablo		      ***Coming soon: buzz@kinetics.com !!***
Walnut Creek, CA 94596		     mtxinu!kinetics!buzz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
   "You may ask yourself, how did I get here?  This isn't my beautiful..."
 							--- Talking Heads

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (01/13/89)

In article <8901120059.AA08765@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) writes:
> We are currently considering buying some software to manage/analyze our
> AppleTalk network.  Our network consists of 3 FastPath-3's and a few SE's with
> EtherSC boxes and the AlisaTalk (soon to be AlisaShare) package on our
> VAX-11/750 running VMS.
>
> I've heard of InterPoll by Apple and CheckNet and TrafficWatch by Farralon,
> but are there any others, and/or does anybody have any recommendations for
> these packages?

  This probably isn't in the same league as the packages you are looking into,
but the Responder system init and the NodeCheck application (both by Apple and
I believe available for free) is a simplistic start.  The Responder comes up
with a "Registering node xxx on the AppleTalk network" at boot time.  It is
probably also required by the other Apple and Farralon packages.  Nodecheck will
show all the devices on the net, by device number, type (Mac Plus, LW, etc.),
and username.  Yoy can also send a 1 line message to any other device (although
it seems that that other device also must be runnign NodeCheck to see it).  The
program is almost like a "who" for the Mac, and for some people that may be
all they need.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (01/19/89)

availability of the LAN Ranger (Kinetics network management), I am posting
the info.  (For more reliable information, contact our Sales or Tech Support
dept.; after all, I'm just an engineer)

LAN Ranger, a $395 value, will be included, free of charge*, with every
FastPath 4 ordered.

It will also be available, in March, free of charge*, to current owners of
FastPaths, by contacting Kinetics Technical Support.  Owners of FastPath 1s,
2s and 3s need to upgrade to version 4.2 of the PROMs, before being able to
use the LAN Ranger.

Expect a shipment date of March 1, 1989.

*For a limited time only.