[comp.protocols.appletalk] Unix Based MSDOS Servers

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (01/17/89)

Hi, I realise that this may not be the most appropriate group, but you'll
probably better understand what I want better than some of the other groups.

What I'm looking for is an MS-DOS equivalent to the AppleShare/CAP/K-box
system. Just as CAP allows the setting up of volumes on a UNIX box I want to
set up MS-DOS volumes on a UNIX box.

Ideally such a system should be:

1. Transparent to the user. Extra volumes appear as extra drives.
2. Permit execute only privilege on software (so that students can run
   Lotus 1-2-3 without being able to pirate it.
3. Cheap.
4. Run over Ethernet (there is no point in using the appletalk boards, when
   for a few extra dollars, Ethernet can be used).
5. Modifiable for local conditions (e.g source would be nice).

At the moment we are running 3-com servers, but they are a pain to set up, use
and backup. It would be much better to use UNIX boxes as servers as the
environment is not so "black box" (especially if we can acquire source code).

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time.
Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

tjh+atalk.errors@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (01/18/89)

Alex Heatley writes:
>What I'm looking for is an MS-DOS equivalent to the AppleShare/CAP/K-box
>system.

Here at NMSU we are also using 3com servers for our PC based networks. We
also have PC-NFS running on a Sun-3.  PC-NFS seems to be a much cleaner
network file system than 3com and handles file access privileges just like
unix does.  We plan on switching over to PC-NFS whenever we can find the
time.  The neat thing about PC-NFS is that it extends file service to the
ethernet campus wide.  3com is more restrictive than this I believe.

Pat Gaughan
pgaughan@nmsu.edu

samb@REYES.STANFORD.EDU (Sam Brain) (01/19/89)

We use Sun's PC-NFS on several dozen IBM XTs, conncted via ethernet to
a VAX/750 running 4.3BSD. We run NFS on the VAX which is the server
side of things, and PC-NFS on the PCs as the client side. You can
"mount" a VAX disk partition as disk D:,E:,etc and see the VAX files as
DOS files, and vice versa. You also get print service thro the unix
spooling system, and you can also buy a PC mail application which talks
POP to your VAX (the mail package includes the source code for the Unix
POP server).  It all works very nicely for us.

If you have a unix source licence, you should have access to the NFS
code. I don't know if Sun sells the PC-NFS source code, (for a
reasonable price ;-), but they do sell a PC-NFS Programmers Toolkit, which
consists of a set of C libraries (for Microsoft C, I think) allowing
you to do IPC between VAX and PCs, using either RPC or BSD-style sockets,
both stream- and datagram-. That might be enough for your needs.

Sam Brain
S044 Radiology
Stanford Medical Center
Stanford, CA 94305.