[comp.protocols.appletalk] EtherTalk-EtherTalk routers

jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu (J Q Johnson) (01/19/89)

As EtherTalk starts to be popular on campus networks it becomes more
important to have high performance EtherTalk to EtherTalk routers.  Who
makes such beasts, and how well do they perform?

  JQ Johnson				Internet:  jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu
  Director of Network Services		BITNET:    jqj@oregon
  Office of University Computing	UUCP:	   ...!uoregon!jqj
  University of Oregon			voice:     503-686-4394
  Eugene, OR  97403

lloyd@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Lloyd W. Taylor) (01/20/89)

In article <175@oregon.uoregon.edu> jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu (J Q Johnson) writes:
>As EtherTalk starts to be popular on campus networks it becomes more
>important to have high performance EtherTalk to EtherTalk routers.  Who
>makes such beasts, and how well do they perform?
>
>  JQ Johnson				Internet:  jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu
>  Director of Network Services		BITNET:    jqj@oregon
>  University of Oregon			voice:     503-686-4394

cisco Systems will shortly be offering EtherTalk routing on their
multi-protocol routers.  They will not support physical connections
to LocalTalk (you'll still need your Kinetics/Cayman/Dove Boxes!!),
but it should help solve the "no more than 254 ethernet-attached
AppleTalk devices per ethernet" problem.

Contact cisco at (415) 326-1941 for more info.  The EtherTalk routing
software is still in testing, and will (hopefully) be in my hands
shortly.  If there's interest (and my beta-test agreement allows it),
I'll post a report on performance and capabilities when the testing is done.

(My only connection with cisco is that I've been beating on them to
provide EtherTalk routing for some time now to solve the problem that
Apple should have fixed at least a year ago!)

-- Lloyd Taylor
   Telecomm/Datacomm Manager
   Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Lab
   lloyd@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu	uunet!mimsy!aplcen!lloyd

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (01/20/89)

It seems to me that in most cases using a LAN Bridge would be sufficient for
partitioning a large ethertalk network.  This has the added benefit that you
can also run other protocol families (like TCP/IP) on the same ethernet
cables.  Putting in an Ethertalk specific router reduces you to having an
ethertalk only cable plant.

Rob