[comp.protocols.appletalk] NodeCheck

paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) (01/18/89)

Back on the 14th of Jan, Jeff White responded to a query of mine concerning
network monitoring software by mentioning Responder and CheckNode.  I've found
the Responder INIT as a part of my 6.0.2 system release, but can't find the
CheckNode application.  Does anyone know of its whereabouts, and whether or
not it is free?  Thanks.

				Michael J. Paisley
				PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
				PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
				PAISLEY%MTE@NCSUVX.NCSU.EDU
				70156,1117 (CompuServe)
				Materials Science and Engineering
				229 Riddick Laboratories
				Campus Box 7907
				North Carolina State University
				Raleigh, NC 27695-7907
				Office: (919) 737-7083
				Messages: (919) 737-2377
				FAX: (919) 737-3419

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (01/19/89)

In article <8901180131.AA21491@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) says:
>Back on the 14th of Jan, Jeff White responded to a query of mine concerning
>network monitoring software by mentioning Responder and CheckNode.  I've found
>the Responder INIT as a part of my 6.0.2 system release, but can't find the
>CheckNode application.  Does anyone know of its whereabouts, and whether or
>not it is free?  Thanks.

as far as i know, nodecheck comes with the appleshare system. (not too sure,
but it's my best guess.

-------
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
-Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG    == -==- Little Mac BBs
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- (814) 238-4276
- axs101@psuvm.bitnet axs@psuarch.bitnet  == -==- 2400/1200bps
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- 8-n-1  24hrs

carr@Apple.COM (Randy Carr) (01/21/89)

In article <67960AXS101@PSUVM> AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) writes:
>In article <8901180131.AA21491@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, paisley@MTE.NCSU.EDU (Mike) says:
>>Back on the 14th of Jan, Jeff White responded to a query of mine concerning
>>network monitoring software by mentioning Responder and CheckNode.  I've found
>>the Responder INIT as a part of my 6.0.2 system release, but can't find the
>>CheckNode application.  Does anyone know of its whereabouts, and whether or
>>not it is free?  Thanks.
>
>as far as i know, nodecheck comes with the appleshare system. (not too sure,
>but it's my best guess.

Actually, NodeCheck (originally titled NetCheck) is an old application that I
wrote back in 1985 to be released as a quick and dirty utility to scan single
network segments.  No capability for zones or internets was supported in the
application (I couldn't find any to test it on).  NodeCheck was first shipped
as a service replacement part (like a keyboard keycap) and was ordered via
dealers.  Later, I started seeing it on bulletin boards and places like EduComp
(aka EduCom) so... I guess that legal has allowed distribution of NodeCheck in
this manner, as I did check w/ EduComp once and they said that they had
permission to distribute it.

Responder is the INIT that I wrote to help Inter*Poll (It works w/ NodeCheck too) identify machines on an AppleTalk network as well as get their system info
(LaserWriter driver, finder, system versions).  Responder is supplied with the
latest versions of system software (6.0 and greater). Inter*Poll is an app that
can be bought off the shelf for $129.00 (Retail) that is similar to NodeCheck,
but supports zones, internets, and allows device level testing.

CheckNet is the name of a desk accessory that is available from Farrallon. It
provides a superset of the functions in NodeCheck. It also works w/ Responder.

>-Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG    == -==- Little Mac BBs

Randy Carr                                          Network Systems Development
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...